Author Topic: Southern Tier transam ride  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Berenice

Southern Tier transam ride
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
My husband and I are planning to do a transam ride via the Southern Tier.  due to work constraints we may not be able to leave till mid to late October.  Has anyone ridden the route this late in the year?  what is the latest that is pleasant to ride this route? 

Any other information about the latest in the fall that is okay to ride, and any tour groups that organize rides later in the year would be much appreciated.

Offline Pat Lamb

Re: Southern Tier transam ride
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:30:09 pm »
Most ST rides are in the winter; not many people want to fight summer heat in the south.  I think you're starting at the right time.  You might want to start in San Diego, so as to get over the Arizona and New Mexico mountains before winter sets in.

Also, crazyguyonabike.com contains a wealth of information.  Search for Southern Tier tours, and you can read them from now through September!

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »
My husband and I are planning to do a transam ride via the Southern Tier.

Just FYI, in ACA lingo, "TransAm" is a specific route across the country and is not usually used to refer to any cross-country route. So the "Southern Tier" and the "TransAm" are two different routes.

Offline Jason

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:40:54 pm »
I left from the east coast at the end of September, which put in me in higher elevation - N Mexico - in late October.  The weather was perfect.  A few colder evenings in western Az/east CA, but overall it seemed like a perfect time to leave.  You'll have to contend with humidity in the southern states at least until October - maybe evening November, but the air temps will be fine.

Enjoy yourself.

J
singlespeed touring - life generally requires just one speed.

Offline MrBent

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:44:57 am »
Late Oct. is perfect.  The deserts east of San Diego can be brutally hot earlier in the year.  Some of the high passes in NM in Nov. will be freezing but short lived.  Ride on!

Scott

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:27 pm »
October is good. However, it will still be quite warm in the southeast and elsewhere. Even December has some warm days in Florida. I did my last ST transam in the winter of 2009-10. I started from south Florida December 7. I believe starting in December would give you a better time of it with the temperatures. It can get severely cold to the point of being lethal. Wear the right clothing and you are set.

Offline forrest

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00:54 am »
do you know when you are leaving san diego...