Route Development > Bicycle Route 66

Has anyone ridden any parts of route 66?

(1/4) > >>

Bicycle Rider:
The "parts" I am interested in are from Oklahoma to California. Any info, especially ways aroung parts where the interstate has cut it up would be greatly appreciated. I am currently planning a southern route to Los Angeles in 2013 so waiting for the A.C.A.'s proposes routing is not a viable option.

BigSherm:
I rode a small part of it, from Barstow to Corona, CA.

See it here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1r4vFZo&doc_id=7066&v=5d

I really like the part just downhill from the Cajon Pass, just south of Hesperia, CA.  It seems to be in original form, with two very narrow lanes, separated by a very narrow median.  It's quite a contrast to huge, modern, I-15, which it runs parallel to.

Sherm

Bicycle Rider:
Actually, I just got finished reading that journal (a very good read, BTW), and it looks very doable, at least at a more sensible time, like April rather than August! :o However he only takes it as far as Needles. So now that is the section I need to know about, How feasible is it from Needles west? Or is there a good alternate. I'm can handle riding freeway shoulders if I have to, I know it's legal in California (what about Arizona?). Assuming no reasonable alternate route exists, that is. I will be taking my camping gear, so I could theoretically stop in the middle of nowhere if absolutely necessary.

EDIT: I just consulted my mapping program, and the biggest stretch that I can see west of Needles is between it and Newberry Springs*, which is the first large enough collection of roads that is too large not to exist (it lies about 20 miles east of Barstow). The distance between them is 118 miles. This is the largest gap I can see, unless "Ludlow", which lies about halfway actually exists. Once I'm past Barstow I'm free and clear.  :D

*There aren't even any freeway rest stops, is that legal? I thought there had to be one every 50 miles or so?

reed523:
I've ridden the Oklahoma and Texas portions many times, but only on a motorcycle (or in a car).  I can only think of one section that is even borderline bicycle friendly.  If you have specific questions, i'll try to get you some better information. 

You mention a possible spring crossing.  LOTS of gusty winds (high) combined with miles and miles of interstate dominated with truck traffic.  Not fun.

Good luck,
Keith

Bicycle Rider:

--- Quote from: reed523 on August 27, 2011, 10:32:42 pm ---I've ridden the Oklahoma and Texas portions many times, but only on a motorcycle (or in a car).  I can only think of one section that is even borderline bicycle friendly.  If you have specific questions, I'll try to get you some better information.  

You mention a possible spring crossing.  LOTS of gusty winds (high) combined with miles and miles of interstate dominated with truck traffic.  Not fun.

Good luck,
Keith

--- End quote ---
Demands of my overall route make both the Southern Tier and Western Express too far out of my way. Route 66 was a godsend really. And it's historic and romantic interest add interest to what would otherwise be a lot less interesting part of my journey. Being as this is a westbound trip, I am already prepared for headwinds. That's one of the reasons I'm only planning on doing 40-50 miles a day.

Also, being originally from Southern California, I have had experience riding freeway shoulders; I have traveled I-5 from Castaic to Grapevine many times. However, there are two sections of 66 that will reduce this, as their alignments diverge from I-40. One goes through Oatman*; the other, National Old Trails from Needles to Chamblis, will relieve the freeway traveling somewhat. And without adding more than a day or two to the journey.

Oris' journal was what convinced me of the practicality of this route (and actually April is the time I estimate I will be traveling it).  As for any info you have, I already have the EZ66 guide, as well as the lodging/dining guide. However, neither of these say anything about places to camp. If you have any info or rescourses on this I would like to know, as it could fill some gaps as well as lessen the expence (motels are expensive on this road! :o )

*Yes I know, and I happen love narrow windy mountain roads, especially if they have some historic/romantic value. I'm actually looking forward to that part! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version