Author Topic: Has anyone ridden any parts of route 66?  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Bicycle Rider

Has anyone ridden any parts of route 66?
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:10:39 am »
The "parts" I am interested in are from Oklahoma to California. Any info, especially ways aroung parts where the interstate has cut it up would be greatly appreciated. I am currently planning a southern route to Los Angeles in 2013 so waiting for the A.C.A.'s proposes routing is not a viable option.
May you always have the winds at your back, and a low enough gear for the grades

Offline BigSherm

Re: Has anyone ridden any parts of route 66?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:06:10 pm »
I rode a small part of it, from Barstow to Corona, CA.

See it here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1r4vFZo&doc_id=7066&v=5d

I really like the part just downhill from the Cajon Pass, just south of Hesperia, CA.  It seems to be in original form, with two very narrow lanes, separated by a very narrow median.  It's quite a contrast to huge, modern, I-15, which it runs parallel to.

Sherm

Offline Bicycle Rider

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »
Actually, I just got finished reading that journal (a very good read, BTW), and it looks very doable, at least at a more sensible time, like April rather than August! :o However he only takes it as far as Needles. So now that is the section I need to know about, How feasible is it from Needles west? Or is there a good alternate. I'm can handle riding freeway shoulders if I have to, I know it's legal in California (what about Arizona?). Assuming no reasonable alternate route exists, that is. I will be taking my camping gear, so I could theoretically stop in the middle of nowhere if absolutely necessary.

EDIT: I just consulted my mapping program, and the biggest stretch that I can see west of Needles is between it and Newberry Springs*, which is the first large enough collection of roads that is too large not to exist (it lies about 20 miles east of Barstow). The distance between them is 118 miles. This is the largest gap I can see, unless "Ludlow", which lies about halfway actually exists. Once I'm past Barstow I'm free and clear.  :D

*There aren't even any freeway rest stops, is that legal? I thought there had to be one every 50 miles or so?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:16:52 pm by Bicycle Rider »
May you always have the winds at your back, and a low enough gear for the grades

Offline reed523

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:42 pm »
I've ridden the Oklahoma and Texas portions many times, but only on a motorcycle (or in a car).  I can only think of one section that is even borderline bicycle friendly.  If you have specific questions, i'll try to get you some better information. 

You mention a possible spring crossing.  LOTS of gusty winds (high) combined with miles and miles of interstate dominated with truck traffic.  Not fun.

Good luck,
Keith

Offline Bicycle Rider

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »
I've ridden the Oklahoma and Texas portions many times, but only on a motorcycle (or in a car).  I can only think of one section that is even borderline bicycle friendly.  If you have specific questions, I'll try to get you some better information.  

You mention a possible spring crossing.  LOTS of gusty winds (high) combined with miles and miles of interstate dominated with truck traffic.  Not fun.

Good luck,
Keith

Demands of my overall route make both the Southern Tier and Western Express too far out of my way. Route 66 was a godsend really. And it's historic and romantic interest add interest to what would otherwise be a lot less interesting part of my journey. Being as this is a westbound trip, I am already prepared for headwinds. That's one of the reasons I'm only planning on doing 40-50 miles a day.

Also, being originally from Southern California, I have had experience riding freeway shoulders; I have traveled I-5 from Castaic to Grapevine many times. However, there are two sections of 66 that will reduce this, as their alignments diverge from I-40. One goes through Oatman*; the other, National Old Trails from Needles to Chamblis, will relieve the freeway traveling somewhat. And without adding more than a day or two to the journey.

Oris' journal was what convinced me of the practicality of this route (and actually April is the time I estimate I will be traveling it).  As for any info you have, I already have the EZ66 guide, as well as the lodging/dining guide. However, neither of these say anything about places to camp. If you have any info or rescourses on this I would like to know, as it could fill some gaps as well as lessen the expence (motels are expensive on this road! :o )

*Yes I know, and I happen love narrow windy mountain roads, especially if they have some historic/romantic value. I'm actually looking forward to that part! :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:10:45 pm by Bicycle Rider »

Offline aRoudy1

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:30 am »
I just rode on Route 66 (http://retrocycler.blogspot.com/2011/10/sixty-six.html) from Seligman, Az to--nearly--Kingman and can tell you that section is fine for riding.  I also drove on old 66 between Kingman and Topock and would not do it on a bike or trike; it's narrow, no shoulder and many hairpin, blind curves.  You'd do better on I-40/new 66 for that section.

Offline sam21fire

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »
I work in the Barstow/Baker/Ludlow area. Although I've never ridden my bike on 66 I've driven it many times.
West from Needles to Barstow Rt 66 aka National Trails Highway parallels I-40 more or less. The road surface is ok in most places with long stretches where the top layer(s) of pavement have worn away leaving potholes of varying depths.  From Newberry Springs to Barstow you may have to ride the shoulder of I-40 because I don't believe there are any surface streets available through Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow. From Barstow through Victorville, Hesperia and Oak Hills (at the top of Cajon Pass) the route is sometimes off I-15 and sometimes you'll be on the shoulder of the freeway. Although this isn't fun the shoulder is wide and usually pretty clear of debris.  BTW taking the shoulder of I-15 is FAR safer than traveling on US 395 which some people have considered.  South from Oak Hills through Cajon Pass into San Bernardino you'll start on the freeway shoulder then move onto the old highway just south of SR 138. From there on it's a good ride.  There's a short detour through Devore to avoid the freeway, then work your way back onto 66.  From there to the ocean Rt 66 is almost entirely city streets...sometimes good route and sometimes a little hairy due to traffic, local environment etc.

There are very few services on 66 West of Needles; water is available at Goffs, Fenner (usually nothing at Essex), Ludlow, west end of Newberry Springs, Barstow/outskirts of Barstow, Victorville/Hesperia/Oak Hills, I-15 at SR138, Devore    Food is available at Fenner, Ludlow, west end of Newberry Springs, Barstow, Victorville/Hesperia/Oak Hills, I-15 at SR138, Devore. In between those spots there is no reliable water/food at all.  Unless you've been through that area you might be surprised how little 'civilization' is out there.  Beware of "town" on a map that are actually just a collection of abandoned buildings.

Weather- May through Sep/Oct is brutal hot....days are usually +100F, nights cool off to the mid 80-90'sF. The wind is very predictable...usually calm in the morning then almost always from the West at 5-20 mph.  I've thought about riding the Needles/San Bernardino section and am thinking it's better to ride the Needles-Newberry Springs section at night. There's hardly any traffic on 66 at night and as long as you have lights you'd be ok.

Offline sam21fire

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »
Feel free to send me a message and I'll pass along more info or answer more specific questions.

Good luck!
Sam

Offline aggie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:40:26 am »
You can avoid I-15 from Barstow by getting on West Main Street in Barstow.  It turns into National Trails Highway.  I've ridden it on my bike and is doesn't have much traffic as most will use I-15.  It's a little rough in some places but overall it is ok.  Once you get to Victorville (cross under I-15) you can ride surface streets until you get to the Cajon Pass.

Offline shankel128

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »
I have ridden Route 66 from Springfield, IL to the Chicago Lakefront as part of a fundraiser.  There are numerous small towns and resources all along the route.  It parallels I-55 for a great portion of the distance with light traffic on the Old 66.  The surface ranges from poor in some areas to recently resurfaced in others. I live within an hour or two of much of the route through Illinois.  Please feel free to contact me if you need someone to research resources;  Shankel128@aol.com

Offline BikingBrian

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:32:29 am »
I've recently cycled parts of Route 66 in California and Arizona:

Flagstaff, AZ to Barstow, CA: http://www.bikingbrian.com/tag/route66tour2010/
Barstow, CA to the Cajon Pass: http://www.bikingbrian.com/bicycling/touring/mojave03.htm
Cajon Pass then leaving route 66 to head to Orange County, CA: http://www.bikingbrian.com/bicycling/road/cajontooc.htm

Offline Moni

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »
I am in Oklahoma City.  Previously lived in Tulsa.  Rode from Tulsa to Luther several times, self contained... and then, rode from Luther back to Edmond numerous times.

I currently live on the route (66 that is). 

I am also in the warm showers list, and let people stay at my place, when ever possible.

Moni

Offline stlscott

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 12:02:00 am »
I live in St. Louis, Missouri and have cycled Route 66 in both directions from about Rolla, MO through St. Louis across the Chain of Rocks Bridge. As a police officer for St. Louis County I am very familiar with the area and would be happy to help with any resource checking or route reconnoissance.

Offline Paulboth

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:00 am »
I ran most of route 66 on my run across America in 2010 www.runforliberty.com
Route 66 was amazing and I have TONS of great pictures. Running and riding is NOT permitted on the interstate in CA. At least that was my experience. It IS permitted in the rest of the states that 66 goes through, which is good since many sections of the mother road are not intact. I love to talk about it if anyone has any questions. I feel like I became very intimate with it only cover about 25 miles a day on my feet.
I am now planning an epic bike tour of some sort. Cycling sure gives you more freedom to see more things, but to be honest, it moves a little too fast sometimes for my liking :)

Offline BikingBrian

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:01:40 am »
I ran most of route 66 on my run across America in 2010 www.runforliberty.com
Route 66 was amazing and I have TONS of great pictures. Running and riding is NOT permitted on the interstate in CA. At least that was my experience. It IS permitted in the rest of the states that 66 goes through, which is good since many sections of the mother road are not intact. I love to talk about it if anyone has any questions. I feel like I became very intimate with it only cover about 25 miles a day on my feet.
I am now planning an epic bike tour of some sort. Cycling sure gives you more freedom to see more things, but to be honest, it moves a little too fast sometimes for my liking :)
Nice running trip!

Actually, cycling is permitted on the shoulder of about 1000 of the 4000 interstate miles in California. It just so happens that very few of these allowed sections coincide with Route 66. But all of these 1000 miles allowed by bike may be off limits to those on foot. On my Route 66 tour, I had a climb on I-40 westbound out of Needles for about 20 miles, before existing at US95 and returning to the old Route 66.

On another note, I may be going to Gallup, NM sometime on business and might have the opportunity to ride Route 66 from there to either Flagstaff, AZ or Albuquerque, NM. Thoughts?