Author Topic: New Member Question  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Tim

New Member Question
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:54 am »
Hello everyone my name is Tim and I was hoping to ask a few questions of this group for an upcomming fund raiser I'm planning.  My project is based on a transamerican ride.  I'll be riding from Marine Corp Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport CA to 2d Marine Division in Camp Lejune NC.  Your all probably wondering why Marine base to Marine base.  My fund raiser is called Operation Awakening and its mission is to raise funding and awareness for our returning wounded warriors.  I myself have served in the Marine Corp for 4 yrs (2d Recon Bn / 2d Mar Div).  

With that said my first question is this... Is there any TYPE of US hwys that I cannot ride on?  In other words my route has been tentatively planned (Date of Departure: 4/10/12) and (Date of Arrival: 6/21/2012).  I was going to post up my Google Map link but I think I'll wait till I can create more of a Dialog within the specific state forums (i.e. post route questions based on state.  

The above question will give me a better understanding of what US roads I can travel.  My plan is to pick up the TA route in Pueblo CO but the real crux will be from Bridgeport CA to Pubelo CO (going thru the desert and mountains) and then again from Damascus VA to Jacksonville NC.

Thanks ahead of time and I look forward to the interaction.
Tim
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:53:28 am by Tim »
A Ride Dedicated
to
The Unconditional Sacrifices Made Every Day.
www.opawakening.com

Online John Nelson

Re: New Member Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:04:43 am »
Rules about where you can and cannot ride are typically set by the state, and occasionally by the city. There are no general rules based on TYPE of road. Many states produce a state bicycle map which you can find online. Start at the state DOT web site. Such maps generally show roads you cannot ride on. It might be a good idea to carry such a map, because occasionally you will find an ill-informed policeman who wants to enforce rules that don't exist. The most significant roads that might be closed to you are interstate highways. In most states, it is allowed in some places and prohibited in others. In eastern states, you may find it prohibited more than allowed, and in western states you may find it allowed more than prohibited. Typically it is prohibited where a suitable alternative exists, and allowed where no suitable alternative exists. Some bridges and tunnels (not most of them) are also restricted, but you can usually hitch a ride through/across. A few cities (thankfully a very small number) such as Black Hawk Colorado prohibit bicycle riding completely.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:07:15 am by John Nelson »

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:15:45 am »
Great follow up thanks John.  I'll take a look at the DOT stuff and go from there.
A Ride Dedicated
to
www.opawakening.com

Offline JayH

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »
Ditto what John says, typically Interstates are off-limits and also signed too but there are some places where it is not.

You also should check out bridges, major bridges are sometimes off-limits to riding across, like here on the east coast, the Hudson River crosses from Albany to NYC have regulations on bikes/pedestrians. Some allow for you to get a ride in a car, prearranged, some allow you to ride as a normal vehicle, others require you to stay to a particular walkway.   Others ban bikes.. so if you have major river crossings, you might want to do a little research.

Jay

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:08 pm »
Great Intel guys.  I just downloaded the CO scenic bike map.   :o  WOW talk about a bike friendly state.  Now if I can get the weather to cooperate.  Thanks a bunch.

Great site!
A Ride Dedicated
to
www.opawakening.com

Online John Nelson

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:46:17 pm »
typically Interstates are off-limits

Typically, guys from the eastern US say that, and typically, guys from the western US say the opposite.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
Tim, I had to look up Bridgeport, CA.  Looks like you may be able to head north towards Fallon, NV, and pick up the Western Express into Pueblo, if you're inclined towards the AC maps (as I would be).

I'd expect your biggest challenge is going to be snowed-in passes in the Sierras and Rockies, given your early spring departure.  Others may chime in with more detailed local knowledge, but of course the real, acid test is going to be how much it snows this winter.

Good luck!

Online John Nelson

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 05:27:15 pm »
Yes indeed. If you take the Western Express, you'll be crossing both Lizard Head Pass (10,222') and Monarch Pass (11,312'), probably in early May. Your chances of getting through are pretty good, so I wouldn't let that dissuade you, but you should be prepared to wait out a few bad days. These are both incredibly scenic passes and good for bicycling.

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:20:41 pm »
Sweet!  Good knowledge.  I'm actually going to head south through Tonopah NV to Cedar City UT.  If I take off from MCMWTC (Bridgeport CA) and have to head up to the Fallon route (rt 50 i think) that may take a little longer then I want.  Basically want to just start moving in a easterly direction as quick as possible.  So thats why I chose the 395 to the 120 to hwy 6.   But who knows that may change between now and then. 

I'm also going to be pulling a trailer instead of bags.  I realize that I'll be heading into burly early spring conditions and do not want to shiver bivy at night. 

Thanks again and everyone be safe.
A Ride Dedicated
to
www.opawakening.com

Offline cgarch

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:35:44 am »
Sweet!  Good knowledge.  I'm actually going to head south through Tonopah NV to Cedar City UT.  If I take off from MCMWTC (Bridgeport CA) and have to head up to the Fallon route (rt 50 i think) that may take a little longer then I want.  Basically want to just start moving in a easterly direction as quick as possible.  So thats why I chose the 395 to the 120 to hwy 6.   But who knows that may change between now and then.  

Leavitt Meadows is one cold place. US 6 is an interesting choice. With very little services. For a long distance, > 80 miles as I recall. You'd better be willing to haul a fair amount of goods to make that stretch presuming your intended destination is Ely, NV to join the WE/TA. Search Crazyguyonabike.com for John Egan. There was a discussion there in the last several months that included this highway with comments from him, I believe. It is a far more deserted road than US 50 with zip for water. I took a quick look but couldn't come up with the right link. I would research that stretch carefully before riding it. Best of luck.

Craig

Did a better search, here's the link http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/board/message/?o=2SaFD8K&message_id=217123&v=G Be sure to read the other parts of that thread.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:41:44 am by cgarch »

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 09:20:11 am »
Craig
Awesome!!!  This was the exact info I was hoping to find on this site.  Yes I'm fully aware of Rt 6 and the desolation.  My plan is to use tactics I use while climbing big walls.  I do more climbing then riding so hence the reason for getting involved with this site.  Needless to say I'm planning to bring a 3 gallon collapsable water jug.  If the heat is really bad I'm considering riding at night (at least from Benton to Tonopah). 

But I'll tell ya what really scares me...  Is the drunk redneck driving from the Eastern Side of the Sierra to Tonopah.

Thanks again

Tim

A Ride Dedicated
to
www.opawakening.com

Online staehpj1

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 10:02:27 am »
typically Interstates are off-limits

Typically, guys from the eastern US say that, and typically, guys from the western US say the opposite.
Yeah they are pretty much universally off limits in the east and often OK in the west.

How nice or bad they are to ride varies widely.  For example, I really liked I-25 in NE New Mexico and was happy to get off of I-80 in Montana.  

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:30:55 pm »
When it comes to good cycling, not all roads are created equal.