Author Topic: Sherburne Pass. VT  (Read 4027 times)

Offline JayH

Sherburne Pass. VT
« on: August 24, 2011, 12:17:35 pm »
The topic on the northern tier has me wondering, anybody ride from Rutland to killington via Sherburne Pass on Rt 4, how would you classify the climb?    I am going to try to get a profile with mapmyride and stuff eventually but my tour up towards The Ricker Lakes will take me through that pass and wondering if anybody has any first hand experience. My friend who lives in Stockbridge says it's not bad til the last mile which is steep (kind of like most mountain passes) but just wondering if my 27.xx gear inches is OK for this on a loaded self-supported tour...

Jay

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Sherburne Pass. VT
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »
I have cycled the eastern slope and driven both slopes, but some years ago, so take this for what little it is worth. Over all, it is the same vertical climb as Middlebury Gap, but steadier and spread over more miles. The topmost part is steep, but only a quarter-mile or so, in my dim recollection.

US 4 is a major truck route across Vermont. The road is broad and well paved. I cannot recall the shoulders at all, sorry to say. Expect a lot of diesel engines climbing with you.

If you have the choice, VT 73 (Brandon Gap) to the north or VT 103 to the south would be more pleasant cycling.

I hope someone with more recent experience will step in here.

Fred

Offline JayH

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:29:10 pm »
http://www.northeastcycling.com/gpx_loader.html

If you manually select the Sherburne Pass (west) and (east) it displays a calculated elevation profile of the climb. (it's got other passes in it to so it's pretty handy.  There is a 6-gap organized ride in VT but looks like they avoid the pass.

Thanks Fred, my friend who lives around there says it is busy but for the most part has a wide shoulder..  Maybe I'll just grab onto a passing truck.. hahaha..   

Any other gap north would be way out of my way cause I do plan on visiting my friend who lives just east of the pass...  so kind of stuck with it..   

Jay

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 02:04:42 pm »
Thanks for the link, Jay. Very nice.

How about a report after you have ridden there? It looks decent, if a bit noisy, and any long tour will encounter worse, I am sure.

Fred

Offline JayH

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »
I will definitely put up some kind of report.  I am also in contact with a person from the Cross Vermont Trail group and the guy says the spring rains have played havor on the railbed around Groton which is where I intend to utilize but he said it might be cleared by the time that I hope to go on my bike tour, which I'm targetting mid sept.  I hope to ride from my house to Ricker Pond, 3 days, 2 nights....

Jay

Offline litespeed

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »
I have ridden US4 across Vermont in both directions. As best I recall it is not a really tough climb. Once I did Eastman (near Grantham NH) to Glens Falls in one day and on another tour I did Saratoga Springs to Eastman in one day. I was in a hurry both times. Neither one tired me out so the climb couldn't have been too impressive.

Some day I would like to do route 100 up the middle of Vermont. Then I would finally get to sleep in Vermont.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »
Route 100 has a certain cachet, but much of central Vermont is better served--for cycling--by parallel roads. When you get to planning this, post your start and desired stops here to get some suggestions. Worth every penny they cost, of course.

Fred

Offline JayH

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:50 pm »
It appears VT has regionalized bike routes, sponsored by various VT cycling club but I could not find any centralized bike feasibility map for the state sponsored by the VT DOT.. ME has one (or at least had), MA has private ones (Rubel bike maps) and NH sent me a boat load of bike route/maps.. CT has a state sponsored one... 

Fortunately, IME, VT is rural enough that a county map is ok, just be aware of alot of USFS roads and dirt roads..

Jay

Offline windrath

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:03 am »
JayH -

I have driven Rte 4 in that area since the 1970s.  It is a very manageable climb on a loaded bike.  As one reply mentioned, it is heavily used by trucks so the grade is good (has to be for year round travel in that area, so plows have to be able to clear it).  Having ridden 6 Gaps with the 25% grades of Lincoln gap, Brandon Gap is easier in my opinion than Rte 4 from Rutland to Killington.  The shoulder is good.

Now, not saying it is a walk in the park and you will break a sweat, but, other than road traffic which is significant, I would not expect much trouble.  Be prepared for a fast descent on the other side!

I am driving through there in about 3 weeks and can update if that is still timely.

Paul Windrath

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 06:06:34 pm »
thanks Paul, not sure of my departure but would always welcome trip reports and info.  Irene has done a number to southern vt, Brattleboro appears to have been sucked into the CT river and Bennington has some major flooding,.. Rt 9 is closed, which I was driving on just saturday.. 

I have a feeling the CVT is going to be in worse shape up by ricker lake too so might not be able to ride it by the time we leave...   I hope the bridges are still somewhat intact though that allow me to avoid some of the more major routes...

Jay

Offline JayH

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:07 am »
This is making the ADK loop more interesting, hearing the destruction Irene has caused VT.  Really hope that people are safe up there, at least the roads can be fixed.   

Have to play this by ear, maybe next year and maybe ride the ADK loop, so long as I can go over the mohawk barge canal...

Jay

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 12:25:25 pm »
Northern Vermont and the Adirondacks got off easy. At Burlington, 3.3 inches of rain, peak gust 51 mph. A few trees down, but no serious blockages, and some minor flooding. On a 22-mile ride this morning, I heard chain saws running in four places.

The northern Connecticut Valley got a bit more, but nothing like the destruction that came up the Connecticut from Long Island Sound to southern Vermont and New Hampshire.

I would expect both the Green Mountains Loop and the Adirondack Loop to be all cleaned up by the end of today.

Fred

Offline JayH

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 12:59:34 pm »
Hi Fred, yeah, well not worried about the blowdowns, it's more of the washed out bridges, whether they will be fixed by the time we think about leaving. I don't really have a fixed date but sometime before the end of the month...    Southern VT, along the CT river valley got hit hard, like brattleboro and I know some bridges got washed out along Rt 9 that connects Bennington to Brattleboro as well as the roads around Bennington.  I suspect the major highways and stuff will be fixed ASAP but the smaller roads might take some time... 

Keene and Keene Valley in the ADKS got hit pretty hard too but I think I know the ADKs enough to be flexible there... 

Not bad in the berkshires, a few local roads flooded the northern and southern berkshires got a lot of flooding along the Hoosac River and the Deerfield further east....    But the Central berkshires really was not hit that bad.

Jay

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »

US-4 just east of Rutland last Monday, 8/29. This will take a while!

Fred

Offline JayH

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
Ahh, I have 1.5" Schwalbes on my touring bike, or I can just bunny hop that.. :)

Jay