Author Topic: How early to start Lewis & Clark?  (Read 644 times)

Offline docross

How early to start Lewis & Clark?
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »
Planning a solo L&C trip next spring, looking for advice on how early can one start going west to east?  Perhaps this question is answered in forum, but didn't see it--it depends on when the passes open up?  Thanks for any info.

Offline TwoWheeledExplorer

• World Traveler
  • "I am well, thank God, and in high spirits"
Re: How early to start Lewis & Clark?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »
Lemhi Pass shouldn't be much of an issue after May 1. Bear in mind we were still plowing snow in the Dakotas into April this year, and we are supposed to have another La Nina winter this year, which could mean more flooding on the Missouri all spring into the summer. If you plan on taking the overland route from Powell to Kamiah (The "Lolo Motorway") Forest Service normally says June 1 as a safe date. But remember, the Corps ran into problems with snow on September 15th, and that is not all that unusual for that part of the Rockies.

Ride safe,
Hans
St. Brendan's Two-Wheeled Explorer
www.twowheeledexplorer.org
Dedicated to the adventure of missionary exploration...to the ends of the earth.

Offline nthabiseng

Re: How early to start Lewis & Clark?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:32:31 pm »
Can't answer your question about timing, but I do have ACA maps section 1-5 that I can send; I only ask for shipping payment.  They are from 2002; we only used section 1 and part of 2.  They are old but addenda are available....