Author Topic: Southern Tier favorite section? Advice needed!  (Read 2713 times)

Offline realsteel

Southern Tier favorite section? Advice needed!
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:40:38 pm »
Hi,

My brother and I are currently planning a 5-6 day ride for the end of March/early April 2012. We're looking to do between 400-600 miles during the 5 days. We will stay in motels each night while carrying a light load of gear. We need airports at the beginning and end of the journey, as we'll be meeting each other from different states.

At the moment, we're looking into either section 1 or section 2 of the Southern Tier, but we're open to other sections as well. I'd love to know what sections people have really enjoyed on the Southern Tier. For a 500 or so mile section, what would you do again and again? Or, if you are familiar with sections 1 and 2, which would you suggest given my requirements?

Thank you!!
Sam

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:51:34 pm by realsteel »

Offline aggie

Re: Southern Tier favorite section? Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:37:35 pm »
I'm not sure what the section number is but I enjoyed the ride from El Paso, TX to San Antonio.  San Antonio isn't exactly on the trail but it was close.  As I recall is was around 600 miles.  If I had the time I'd do it again.

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:17 am »
In ranking order:

1. New Mexico (especially the Gila Cliff Dwellings)
2. Texas Hill Country

Lucas

Offline realsteel

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:14:58 pm »
thanks for the feedback...

those sections all look awesome. Now I need to figure out if I'm going with panniers or a trailer  :)

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »
Somehow "We will stay in motels each night while carrying a light load of gear" and the notion of taking a trailer don't go together.  If not cooking and camping, I could get by with a handlebar bag.  Two small panniers ought to be plenty of capacity.

Offline realsteel

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
Yes. Sorry, I should clarify that all options are on the table at the moment. Doing a bit of an scan of all Southern Tier sections - if we find a section we can't say no to, that's limited service wise, we will be camping out.

I'm only somewhat familiar with SE AZ. Southern Cali and Texas are unfamiliar to me.

Offline bobbys beard

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »
In ranking order:

1. New Mexico (especially the Gila Cliff Dwellings)
2. Texas Hill Country

Lucas

i agree! along with the glass mountain section of texas. that was stunning.

Offline nthabiseng

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »
I loved west TX!

Offline realsteel

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02:58 am »
The Texas hill country seems really nice and definitely a strong contender.

Can anyone comment on section 1, which is San Diego to Tempe? 

Offline bobbys beard

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:14:38 pm »
i went east to west. it was challenging, but worth the effort. i imagine the climb out of san diego will be tough (as was the climb in), but it was very pretty. some of the imperial/yuhaw desert sections are remote, with very few chances of shade or refreshment. many of the grocery stores on the aca maps were long ago closed, so you need to be careful depending on the weather. it was 114f when i was there!!!!   to be honest, there are very few parts of the southern tier that i didn't enjoy :)     here's a link to my blog, if it might help.....

http://www.getjealous.com//bobbysbeard

Offline realsteel

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:55:17 pm »
Thanks for the link!

114f! When did you ride? I'm hoping it's a bit cooler in early April  :'(

Totally off topic, but what do you experienced tourers think about dragging a trailer behind my compact geared bike? Folly? I've read that pulling a trailer uphill can be a little more difficult than pulling panniers. I know the answer" depends on many factors but I am curious to see if most folks have compact gearing or use a triple...

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 06:57:23 pm »
Hi realsteel,

Changing the topic midstream is a good way to get your new question buried and ignored. May I suggest you remove it from this post and start a new topic over in the Gear Talk forum? It will get more exposure there. Thanks!

Fred
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:54:49 pm by Fred Hiltz »

Offline bobbys beard

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »
i was there in august, but i imagine it's hot all year round.....it's definately a good idea to plan each day in advance on those sections.

Offline Galloper

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:45 am »
I enjoyed the section from San Diego to Tempe.   Gets a bit steep in paces but nothing you won't be able to cope with.   There's also a pleasant variation in the terrain from the hills around Alpine to the verdant agricultural sections and then the heat of the desert.   

Offline raybo

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:24:28 am »
I rode the Southern Tier from San Diego to Phoenix in April, 2006.  I wrote an account of it without photos.  

I found the two days from San Diego to Jacumba to be lots of climbing but worth it with pretty terrain.  The road drops into the desert a few miles past Jacumba and then it is all desert riding.

I found it uninteresting and wouldn't recommend it.  In fact, after riding to Phoenix, I knew I could ride cross-country but didn't have any desire to.

Ray
Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com