Author Topic: Web application for tracking journey straight on the map  (Read 2808 times)

Offline paolo81

Web application for tracking journey straight on the map
« on: June 29, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »
Hi everybody

I'm looking for some travelers to test my free web application.
Basically this application let the users "draw" the journey on the map and then share it.

Steps
1) Sign-In with a provider like Google,Facebook,Twitter,Yahoo,OpenId
2) Create your Journey
3) Add as many stages as you want. Draw on the map your route
4) If you want you can add details to every stages simply dragging icons on the map (Pictures,Videos,Blog post, Interesting web site, Accomodation, Restaurant)

Then you can share the link nameofthesite.com/title-of-my-journey-by-bicycle-23.php with your friends and they will know exactly where you are (if you are traveling) and where you have been.

I'm still testing that's why I don't want to post the link so everybody can see it.
I would love to have some bicycle travelers who are going to travel for long time in the next weeks.

Send me a private message if you are interested

Paolo
Sorry for my english :)

Joe B

SECURITY ! Re: Web application for tracking journey straight on the map
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:46 am »
Is there a way to register for your site directly so I can create a unique login.

As a web developer by profession..

I don't think I want to send my Google,Facebook,Twitter,Yahoo,OpenId or other login info to a site that is still in BETA Testing....

Offline paolo81

Re: Web application for tracking journey straight on the map
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:27:17 am »
Hi Joe

Thank you for the reply

Unfortunately I didn't set a login for my site but I just used those providers.

If you want in the next weeks I'll send you a message so you can try.

I'd like to have an opinion from a professional web developer.

Paolo

FredHiltz

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:24:20 am »
Hi Paolo. I have the same reservation as Joe for a different reason. I am not about to create a social networking presence, with its enormous violations of privacy and a gateway for spammers, just to try your app. If you ever make it stand alone, I'd be delighted to comment.

Warning: as a retired software developer--although not for the web--with much interest and experience in user interface design, I can be quite ruthless!

Fred

Offline chrisch

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:48:06 am »
Hi Paolo. I have the same reservation as Joe for a different reason. I am not about to create a social networking presence, with its enormous violations of privacy and a gateway for spammers, just to try your app. If you ever make it stand alone, I'd be delighted to comment.

I haven't seen the original application, but I assume he's using OpenID (not OAuth) for authentication.  If he is, then it has nothing to do with creating a social networking presence.  From the openid.net website at http://openid.net/get-an-openid/what-is-openid/:

OpenID allows you to use an existing account to sign in to multiple websites, without needing to create new passwords.

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

FredHiltz

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:55:11 am »
Interesting! OpenID is new to me, but evidently not to the world.

Paolo, please PM that URL to me and I will see how OpenID works with my Yahoo account.

Fred