Author Topic: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)  (Read 7089 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BikeFreak

Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:31:53 pm »

Concerning the use of bike shorts and chamois cream before each ride on a long distance trip:

When applying all that cream, does it become necessary to wash the shorts each night? I suppose that large amounts of cream clogs up the chamois fabric so that it will stay greasy (they will never dry). Planning ahead I have realized that I will not be able to wash shorts each night. What is your experience on that matter?


Offline dkoloko

Re: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »
I don't use chamois cream; I use Bag Balm. I carry only one extra pr of shorts, and wash shorts every night. I am more concerned with bacteria than greasy feel.

Offline staehpj1

Re: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:47:47 am »
I don't use any chamois creams.  If I should get a bit of chafing, I wear zinc oxide based diaper cream overnight and only on the chafed spots.  It works like magic.

On my latest trips I have started taking only one pair of bike shorts.  I wash them at least every few days, and every day if it is convenient.  I don't find it to be a huge problem to start the day with them still damp.

I find it very important to air out when off the bike.  To that end I usually get into running shorts as soon as I am done riding for the day.  I also sleep in the running shorts.

Offline bogiesan

Re: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:12:18 am »
Touring is not the primary market for crotch creams. Racers and wannabes use them because their herores endorse them.

Me, I run a recumbent so I don't wear conventional padded bike shorts. I rest my bum on three inches of foam. I use a base layer of unseamed polypro briefs and I like a shmear of te Chamois Butt'r brand before a long day in the easy chair. I carry a "long walk kit" on most rides over 50 miles: small tube of chafe prevention gel, a tiny bottle of witch hazel, a few feet of bath tissue and latex gloves. If I'm on the desert for those 50-100 miles I add a small tube of zinc oxide like Butt Paste or A+D cream. I have earned many after-ride beverages by having these supplies to share.

Hygeine practices on a tour vary widely. I carry three pairs of bike shorts and four pairs of briefs and wash each day's if possible.  But I don't do self-supported touring.

I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent


  • Guest
Re: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »
I have taken to using some type of cream because I find it helps me. I don't even know any racers or anyone who endorses the stuff.

Use something that is water soluable (i.e., something unlike petroleum jelly) like Belgium Butter and try to wash yor shorts each day if only for bacteria build up reasons.

Offline John Nelson

Re: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »
I use chamois cream for all long rides. Frankly, I really don't know if it does anything useful or not, but I'm playing it safe. I never wear the same shorts two days in a row without washing them, usually in the shower or a sink. I find that even on a tour, I can wash them 98% of the time, sometimes just under an outdoor faucet or by jumping in a creek. For the other 2%, that's what my spare pair of shorts is for. Even so, I don't find build-up or a greasy feel to be a problem, maybe because I don't use "large amounts".

Offline driftlessregion

Re: Bike shorts + chamois cream (Experience)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:40:56 pm »
Unless it is raining my shorts always dry the next day strapped to the rear rack or trailer.
You only do what you can do, and that means you don't wash them daily, wash yourself well and enjoy the ride.