Author Topic: Underground RR trail  (Read 2310 times)

Offline HoosierGal

Underground RR trail
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:15:09 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm a 22 yr old cyclist, planning on taking on the Underground Railroad trail.
At this point I am only planning on doing the Mobile AL to Indiana portion. There is an underground RR site in my hometown, and I plan to end there.

Is anyone here familiar with this route? This will be my longest bike ride yet. I typically ride 50-75 mile rides, but am hoping to tackle something more challenging.

I have done a lot of Solo travel (just not on bike) but I am wondering if this is a safe ride for a solo, small-ish (5 feet, 110 lbs), female cyclist. If going solo is not in my best interests I need to start finding a partner, probably my dad or someone else in my cycling community.

I would really like to get in touch with someone who has completed this route, or done portions of it. Any info would be appreciated. I'm new to this!

Offline John Nelson

Re: Underground RR trail
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:02:08 am »
Rides like this are done by solo females all the time. You'll be fine. Have a great time!

Offline cheesehawk

Re: Underground RR trail
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
I rode from Land-Between-the-Lakes in KY to Mobile a few years ago (I wrote a journal at crazyguyonabike.com). I would say that you should be fine but normal caution applies. I found the ACA route between Aberdeen and Columbus to be a bit hairy due to heavy traffic. Try to hit that stretch at low volume times if you can. There is also a neighborhood that you ride through on the south side of Aberdeen, MS where the locals are a concern - I'm not the only person who noted this in their journal. But I think you can find that in most any part of the country.

I did do my ride solo, and I think going solo is a matter of taste as much as anything else. Certainly if you do not enjoy being by yourself for two weeks, or if you would feel more comfortable with a companion, then I would not discourage you (or anyone) from finding one.