Author Topic: Death Valley Route  (Read 2501 times)

Offline dayjack119

• Road Warrior
  • 2018 Bangor&More@ 74 Solo USA Bike Tour - Jack Day
Death Valley Route
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »
I'm planning my next ride and can't find much on sights to see in Death Valley, CA.  Any experience out there?  The following is my early 2015 Desert SW Tour Route.  The map is on-going and zoomable.  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zobmp9RdFhRI.koz6hhEoGaHQ

Offline aggie

Re: Death Valley Route
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:37:28 pm »
The sights depend on the type of bike you are riding.  If you are unable to ride on loose sand the best spots are Badwater (lowest spot in US), Scotty's castle, and there is an overlook on hwy 190 south of Furnace creek.  There is also a small trail to see some endangered small fish but I can't remember exactly where it is.  If you can ride on loose sand there are a number of other spots that are pretty neat to hike.  Depending on the time of year it is either very hot or cold and windy as the extremes.  It is a nice ride though.

Offline dayjack119

• Road Warrior
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:47:58 pm »
I'm looking at March/April to pass through, but I don't do sand.  I'll stay on the main roads with 700 x 35 tires.  I appreciate the feedback.  Most of your info looks do-able.

Offline mnichols

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:10:09 am »
Hi, I'm cycling Canada to Mexico in September passing through Death Valley and I really like the map you put a link to - how did you create that

Offline dayjack119

• Road Warrior
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:39:48 pm »
I do the free mapping through Google and it's placed for easy access from any device in the cloud, just like your email.

I believe you have to have a Google Account.

SEARCH for Google Maps Engine.  This used to be a premium map service for $5/month and I was glad to pay it.  Just recently they eliminated the fee and it is now free.

Go to My Maps and open and save your own..

There really isn't much of a tutorial.  You just have to go to every button and find out what it does and make some practice maps.  After you get used to it and you understand how it thinks, you are on your way and it's easy.

Good luck!

Offline mnichols

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
I'm cycling through DV in September possibly for a couple of days, how much water do I need to carry?  Are there places where I can get water and food?

Offline aggie

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:54 pm »
There are two places where you can get food and water in the park.  They are Stovepipe wells and Furnace Creek.  I can't remember if Scotty's Castle has a small store.  I think you can also get water in the visitors center.