Author Topic: Idaho Hot Springs Bike type and solo?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline ejworden10

Idaho Hot Springs Bike type and solo?
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »
Looking at riding from McCall to Ketchum to Boise (Clockwise) section of the route in July.  I have a full suspension mt bike and a cross bike and wondering which is better for the route.  I will not be doing any of the single track.  Looking at 50 to 70 a day.  Also, maps suggests not doing this route solo.  Any thoughts?

Offline rs7trout

Re: Idaho Hot Springs Bike type and solo?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:22:18 am »
Have you ridden any part of the route before?? First--I've only ridden different parts of the sections including some of the singe track before it became the Idaho Hot Springs Route. I had planned on doing the loop last year --when life kind of got in the way!! I too had the choice for both a cross and a full suspension and was going to ride the full suspension---Just think you'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable! I too would not do the single track on the route--it's one thing doing it without a loaded bike--but with--ay--more power to those that do! Although having said that there are a couple places where you could camp--take an extra day or part of a day and do a single track loop back to camp (if you road your full suspension--like Fisher Creek--which is really awesome!).

If the snow level is down--and it was possible to do it in first part of June--am considering it as I have the time--but thinking snow may get in the way of the plan!

Good luck with your plan- I'm sure there are those that have done the loop that will give a better response--but just thought I'd add my thoughts!

Ron

Offline mathieu

Re: Idaho Hot Springs Bike type and solo?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:21:22 pm »
Last year in June I did only one stage, between Ketchum and Stanley. I was dismayed by several very soft double tracks milled up by ATVs, which are very popular in Idaho. I mailed this information to someone who I knew was in doubt whether to do the main route on a cross bike or MTB. Later I read in his blog that he was very glad to follow my advice to use an MTB with fat tires.
For more information I refer to several blogs on CrazyGuy : www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/categories/?o=Sh&category_id=378&doctype=journal .

There is also an extensive topic on Bikepacking involving the route's main architect, Casey Greene, that you may find helpfull : http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/routes/idaho-hot-springs-mountain-bike-route-2014-info-thread/

Solo or not? Last year I rode solo from Arizona to British Columbia on dirt roads and I don't see why you shouldn't do the main IHS route solo. From what I read in the blogs, the route is already quite popular.  You'll probably meet other riders about every day.  The singletracks are much more remote and wild, so that is a more serious commitment going solo.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:19:33 am by mathieu »