Author Topic: North Eastern routes...  (Read 2659 times)

Offline dhmtbr

North Eastern routes...
« on: May 15, 2015, 05:58:40 pm »
Hey all. Newb here looking for some traveled routes in the North Eastern region. I am based out of New Jersey and will be spending this coming June through December 2015 in upstate NY, Albany area. Avid cyclist, ride most disciplines. Primarily DH and X/C, with plenty of road experience as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Doug. :)

indyfabz

Re: North Eastern routes...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:33 am »
There is a fairly popular, supported event in the Finger Lakes region called the Bon Ton Roulet.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:52:52 pm »
Here are some good bicycling roads:
9W along the Hudson from The George Washington Bridge northward. Most of the traffic, except trucks, is on the interstate.
US5 following the Connecticut River northward along the VT-NH border. Hilly in spots but very rural and pleasant. Again all the traffic is on the interstate.
VT100 right up the middle of Vermont. A famous bicycling road.
I like US9 from Cape May NJ to Toms River then over to the coast and northward but not everyone shares my enthusiasm. Plenty of services. Detour west through Mays Landing and Egg Harbor City to avoid the US9 gaps over Great Egg Harbor Bay and the Mullica River.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:25:36 pm by litespeed »

indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:53:39 am »
To avoid the gap left by the removal of the U.S. 9 drawbridge over Great Egg, go inland to Ocean City via CR 623 (34th St. Bridge). You can get back to U.S. 9 via NJ 52 (the 9th St. Causeway), which was rebuilt a few years ago and now accommodates bikes, or continue north through town, go over the big bridge and then hang a left at the light onto NJ 152, right on Bay, left on E. Ocean, right on Buffalo and left on Ocean Heights. Much, much shorter than going to Mays Landing. I would use the latter option. The traffic around the circle on NJ 52 at Somers Point can be bad, and there is a large strip mall on U.S. 9 south of where Ocean Heights intersects with U.S. 9. Take the northern route out of town and you avoid both.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:54:32 am »
Fine, but that still leaves the Mullica River just south of New Gretna. The only way over the river there is to ride the shoulder of the Garden State Parkway for 2 1/2 miles. I did this before they started rebuilding the bridge but I don't know if the job is finished or if you can again ride the shoulder of the GBS. Google Earth shows the bridge unfinished with all traffic on the eastern span and no shoulders that I can see. I'd love to know the scoop on this as I'm headed up the east coast soon.