Author Topic: Ochco Divide Campground on Trans-Am (Oregon)  (Read 4105 times)

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
Ochco Divide Campground on Trans-Am (Oregon)
« on: July 15, 2015, 05:24:24 pm »
I'm doing some research for a tour through Eastern Oregon that I'll be riding later this summer. I'll be using the Trans-Am for parts of it. When checking out the website for the Ochoco Divide Campground on US 26 about 30 miles west of Prineville, I noticed that the PDF map indicates a "bike site" just to the right of site no. 25. This was the first I heard of this! I wanted to find out some more info, but the web page for the sites says nothing. I actually called Ochoco NF to find out more, but was a fruitless endeavor. (Which unfortunately happens frequently when I try to contact a national forest.)

So I'm asking you fine folks if you know anything about this bike site at Ochoco Divide, esp. if you've used it in the last couple years. What I'd like to know is:
  • How much does the site cost? Is it a "per-person" fee like most hiker/biker sites?
  • Is it a group site that would fit multiple cyclists, or is it only intended for one party?

Pertinent links:
The web page for Ochoco Divide CG: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!?ss=110601&ttype=recarea&recid=38724&actid=70&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110410000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=null&pname=Ochoco+NF-Ochoco+West+-+Prineville+Area+-+Ochoco+Divide+Campground
map of the campsite: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3829112.pdf

indyfabz

Re: Ochco Divide Campground on Trans-Am (Oregon)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:33:03 am »
The web site says you can make reservations. Maybe call Reserve America at 1-877-444-6777, at least for the fee question.

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »
The web site says you can make reservations. Maybe call Reserve America at 1-877-444-6777, at least for the fee question.

It looks like the only thing reserveable is the group site, so I don't think they'd be much help, either.

Offline JHamelman

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:35:42 pm »
I sent this out on Twitter to help you find the answer. Someone forwarded it to Good Bike Co in Prineville. They might know something, I'd check with them: http://goodbikeco.com/

.Jenn.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 04:40:51 pm »
I sent this out on Twitter to help you find the answer. Someone forwarded it to Good Bike Co in Prineville. They might know something, I'd check with them: http://goodbikeco.com/

Thanks, Jenn! I'll definitely check in with Good Bike.

Offline JHamelman

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 04:53:18 pm »
No problem. I hope they can help!
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »
Ok, an update:

I checked in with Good Bike and they had no info, since most touring cyclists that they've encountered don't stay at Ochoco Divide.

But I tried the Forest Service again and managed to get a hold of someone that did know the campground. And it turns out that the "Bike Site" is simply the group site, which is reservable online. They don't have a typical hiker/biker site, like you'd find on the Oregon coast at a state park.

Yes, a bit confusing, but now I know!