Author Topic: CT to Quebec City - recommended route?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Mcesaro

CT to Quebec City - recommended route?
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:57:40 pm »
Looking for suggestions on route from Hartford CT to Quebec City. Assume follow COnnecticut River Valley till I can pick up the Route Verte in Quebec?

Offline geegee

Re: CT to Quebec City - recommended route?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:17:36 pm »
My suggestion would be to ride up to White River Junction and ride VT14-VT12 to Montpelier, old US2 to Burlington (with a bonus stop at the Ben & Jerry's factory). There's a campground right off the bike path in Burlington. Take the causeway bike trail and island hop through the middle of Lake Champlain towards Rouses Point, NY. The Route verte 2 is just across the border. I much prefer going along the north shore of the St Lawrence on Route verte 5 between Montreal and Quebec over the southern routes.

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »
My suggestion would be to ride up to White River Junction and ride VT14-VT12 to Montpelier, old US2 to Burlington (with a bonus stop at the Ben & Jerry's factory). There's a campground right off the bike path in Burlington. Take the causeway bike trail and island hop through the middle of Lake Champlain towards Rouses Point, NY. The Route verte 2 is just across the border. I much prefer going along the north shore of the St Lawrence on Route verte 5 between Montreal and Quebec over the southern routes.

I did that route several years ago (at least White River Jct to Montreal) and would recommend it! The only change I would add is use 14A between Randolph to Northfield. It parallels the rail line (and Amtrak route) so the grades are pretty good there. Going this way across Vermont, you don't hit the mountains!

Offline Mcesaro

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 09:39:37 am »
Many thanks for suggestions. Gone to Montreal twice, thru NY bike Rt. 9 and VT old Rt. 7. Since QC is the end point, thinking about staying to the east, Rt. 5 north along VT/NH border, then Route Verte 4 to Rt. Verte 5 to QC. More direct route? Thoughts? Thanks again.

Offline mbattisti

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:23:44 pm »
I would recommend riding 5A from West Burke, VT up to Derby Line (border crossing).  Goes along glacial Lake Willoughby and it's dramatic cliffs.  Be sure to go for a swim on it's public beach at the north end.  Several general stores and private campgrounds along the way.

Offline Mcesaro

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:22 am »
Question for those familiar with Route Verte. Are all surfaces paved? I ride 700x23 tires.

Offline mdxix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:54 pm »
Question for those familiar with Route Verte. Are all surfaces paved? I ride 700x23 tires.
Not all surfaces are paved. The web site does not show this information. Instead, you will find them in the route guide. It is well worth the price for detailed maps & service points. For example, route 4 from Waterloo to Bécancour is mostly not paved. Route 5 is mostly on roads with short sections of paved trails.