Author Topic: Eating well on tour.  (Read 11994 times)

Offline J Griffin

Re: Eating well on tour.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 10:07:20 pm »
I chuckle...I've spent lots of time in Thailand on R&R, and both cook Thai food, and love it!  And with some of the stuff from Packit Gourmet's items from their general grocery section, I've been able to put together stuff like my favorite-pad prew wan-sweet & sour stir fry.  The problem is, I can't find this in our local restaurants that's truly "Thai hot"...The waiter asks, and I tell him "thai hot" and it always comes back just a little, well....less than I remember!  When I was in Naval Special Warfare, we needed a Vietnamese lady to come cook for us for about a week prior to a long range patrol into "indian country".  Otherwise, believe it or not, the other side could actually smell us!  It was a "good thing" to blend into the landscape.  She had this fish sauce called nuc mom, a fish sauce, that if you spilled it on the floor, it would just continue to burn through to China!!!! ;D

Offline BikePacker

Re: Eating well on tour.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 10:59:51 am »
....I lost half-a-pound a day on a trans-am ride, which I believe would be about a 1500 kcal-per-day deficit. 
Yup ...same here ... can nearly calibrate anticipated weight loss,
e.g., about 1 lb per hundred miles (i.e., I typically travel very heavily loaded).
Meanwhile, back to OP thesis .... I frequent Subway shops ....
buy a couple heavy on protein & veggies (low on mayo : ) type footl-o-n-g-s ...
eat in and then pack out the remainder.
For me, works well with Subway shops being in so many small towns.