Author Topic: For those of you who have blogged while on tour, what did you use?  (Read 7852 times)

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
Re: For those of you who have blogged while on tour, what did you use?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »
One other thought on the whole blog/picture thing, how will you back things up...I suppose you could back up to the cloud, but given the size of many digital originals, you'd be abusing free internet pretty hard to back up a couple day's worth, or perhaps pushing a reasonable monthly data limit...

I understand your concern, but I don't think backing up to the cloud will be a big issue, data storage wise. Any phone photo I've made gets automatically backed up via dropbox. I've been doing this for a few years, and only recently have I reached the free limit. Granted, phone photos are rarely more than 4 megapixels, and I don't take as many photos daily as I would on tour (where I use my real camera), but that's a bit. And I could always purchase more storage space.

But a better approach would be using flickr. They now give out one free terrabyte of storage to everyone. That's a lot! I've been using flickr, have lots of photos, maybe 10,000, and many of them hi-res. Right now I've used up a miniscule 3.42% of my free storage. That's it! Of course, flickr is meant for sharing, but you can always upload everything and keep it private until you sort out what you want to keep. (Or just upload the stuff you know you want to keep.)

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »
One other thought on the whole blog/picture thing, how will you back things up...I suppose you could back up to the cloud, but given the size of many digital originals, you'd be abusing free internet pretty hard to back up a couple day's worth, or perhaps pushing a reasonable monthly data limit...

I understand your concern, but I don't think backing up to the cloud will be a big issue, data storage wise. Any phone photo I've made gets automatically backed up via dropbox. I've been doing this for a few years, and only recently have I reached the free limit. Granted, phone photos are rarely more than 4 megapixels, and I don't take as many photos daily as I would on tour (where I use my real camera), but that's a bit. And I could always purchase more storage space.

But a better approach would be using flickr. They now give out one free terrabyte of storage to everyone. That's a lot! I've been using flickr, have lots of photos, maybe 10,000, and many of them hi-res. Right now I've used up a miniscule 3.42% of my free storage. That's it! Of course, flickr is meant for sharing, but you can always upload everything and keep it private until you sort out what you want to keep. (Or just upload the stuff you know you want to keep.)

I'll look into Flickr, thanks for the information.

PS: I'm out in Beaverton. Hope you didn't flood too bad in your area! This was my street yesterday.
Instagram: tyjames0604

Wisconsin --> Washington ---> Colorado

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 06:48:31 pm »
Quote from: PacificNorthwestRider92 link=topic=13603.msg70532#msg70532
PS: I'm out in Beaverton. Hope you didn't flood too bad in your area! This was my street yesterday.

Yeesh, that's flooding! Thankfully I didn't need to leave the house yesterday, so I didn't. I had enough flood dealings with my basement!

Offline RonK

For those of you who have blogged while on tour, what did you use?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 07:29:22 am »
Just to show you what a tablet can do. This is an iPad Mini, but it could be any tablet.

It is fitted to a Logitech Folio Keyboard cover. As a cover it is quite rugged and the edges of the tablet are protected by a rubber bumper. It is all the protection that is needed. As a keyboard it is quite pleasant to use, and of course the full screen is available for editing rather than being half covered by a soft keyboard. On the screen you see my blog in the Blogger app.

Although many cameras have built-in wifi now, my Sony RX100 MK I doesn't have this feature. But instead I have an EyeFi SD card which transfers pictures wirelessly to the tablet. And when connectivity is available the pictures can easily be synced to the cloud. Of course there is always the budget option of the SD card adapter as well.

Using Skype I can call phone numbers anywhere, not just Skype users. It's nice to have a video call back home from time to time.

As mentioned I'm using the Blogger app. If I wanted to post in some other web site (crazyguyonabike f'instance) I would type my post into a text editor and cut and paste into the web page when I can get connectivity.

Used carefully I can get 10 days or more use from a full battery. I also carry an 11000mAh auxiliary battery as backup power for my tablet, phone, camera and GPS. I use a hub Dynamo to charge the auxiliary battery when mains power is not available.

The Maps.Me app stores offline maps for anywhere I want to go. There are a plethora of apps for booking travel and accommodation, locations of campsite, or even scoring a Warm Showers bed. Whatever information I need is at my fingertips.

Best travel computer I ever had. Better than my MacBook Air. Way, way better than the underpowered Asus netbook I started out with.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:33:13 am by RonK »
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
Just to show you what a tablet can do. This is an iPad Mini, but it could be any tablet.

It is fitted to a Logitech Folio Keyboard cover. As a cover it is quite rugged and the edges of the tablet are protected by a rubber bumper. It is all the protection that is needed. As a keyboard it is quite pleasant to use, and of course the full screen is available for editing rather than being half covered by a soft keyboard. On the screen you see my blog in the Blogger app.

Although many cameras have built-in wifi now, my Sony RX100 MK I doesn't have this feature. But instead I have an EyeFi SD card which transfers pictures wirelessly to the tablet. And when connectivity is available the pictures can easily be synced to the cloud. Of course there is always the budget option of the SD card adapter as well.

Using Skype I can call phone numbers anywhere, not just Skype users. It's nice to have a video call back home from time to time.

As mentioned I'm using the Blogger app. If I wanted to post in some other web site (crazyguyonabike f'instance) I would type my post into a text editor and cut and paste into the web page when I can get connectivity.

Used carefully I can get 10 days or more use from a full battery. I also carry an 11000mAh auxiliary battery as backup power for my tablet, phone, camera and GPS. I use a hub Dynamo to charge the auxiliary battery when mains power is not available.

The Maps.Me app stores offline maps for anywhere I want to go. There are a plethora of apps for booking travel and accommodation, locations of campsite, or even scoring a Warm Showers bed. Whatever information I need is at my fingertips.

Best travel computer I ever had. Better than my MacBook Air. Way, way better than the underpowered Asus netbook I started out with.

Thanks RonK! I might get an iPad Mini. I appreciate all the information. Y'all are helpful folks :)

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 07:57:18 pm »
So guess what? At my company Christmas party last night and won an iPad Mini 4.... No need to buy one now!

Offline RonK

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 08:30:52 pm »

So guess what? At my company Christmas party last night and won an iPad Mini 4.... No need to buy one now!
Happy days - perfect. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Offline scarcellagv

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 04:59:00 pm »
For anyone with an iPhone or iPad, I think a great option for simple and convenient blogging is the TrackMyTour app.  It allows you to post locations on a map for waypoints along your trip with any text and/or pictures you want to include.  It's a great way for friends and family to follow you on your tour.  They all really like seeing where you are on the map.

And if you don't have cell service or Wifi at the time you can save these posts offline and then post them after you are back in an area with service. 

Sometimes I just initially post items with a few notes about the waypoint so I don't forget some key details and then re-edit them later to fill in more information when I get to stopping point for the day with more time to compose my thoughts.

You can register your tour as private or public.  Also lots of great public tours out there you can search on to check out tours on routes you may be planning to do in the future.