Author Topic: Israel?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Jonathan Hanson

Israel?
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:02 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone here bicycled in Israel? I did a search but found nothing recent. I'm headed there in November with the hope of pedaling the length of the country. I know about the Israel National Trail and would like to do part of that, but it is oriented toward hikers and there are apparently many sections that would be difficult or impossible on a bike (ladders in canyons, etc.).

I also understand drivers in Israel tend to be . . . cavalier . . . around cyclists. I need to find out what main roads I'll be allowed to cycle on.

And help would be appreciated, thanks!
Thorn Nomad (a British-built one)

Offline John Nettles

Re: Israel?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 01:16:41 pm »
Here are some journals from CrazyGuy https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?locale_id=105&doctype=journal

Hope that helps.  John

Offline Jonathan Hanson

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 01:23:51 pm »
It certainly does - thank you!

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:18:57 pm »
I have cycled in Israel. Road cycling is not anywhere as popular there as mountain biking. Drivers are not used to seeing cyclists, and there has not been much infrastructure investment for road cycling. It's certainly doable, but choose your roads carefully with local input.

Offline Jonathan Hanson

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:50 am »
Thanks John. That's the number one piece of advice I've received. Fortunately the report on Crazy Guy includes not just notes but a lot of photos of verge lanes. That should help.

Did you do any cycling in the Negev? I hope to cover part of the Israel National Trail there and camp a few nights.

Thanks!

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 08:47:07 pm »
Most of my cycling was on and around Mount Carmel. I have, however, driven through the Negev. Take plenty of water, and don't cycle too close to the foreign borders, especially Gaza.

Offline Jonathan Hanson

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »
Thanks John. I'm used to cycling in southern Arizona so I'm careful about water. And not going near Gaza!