Author Topic: Canada to Mexico from mid february, which way?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline PiedsLibres

Re: Canada to Mexico from mid february, which way?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:54:52 pm »
I did look at the weather, but it doesn't help me well. I saw only sun and rain no snow, around 9°C. Rain like 2mm it's not that much, so anyway it give idea but nothing like real information from local.
Like say DarrenBnYYC, it can be not usual weather and each year can be different so I will see what happen when I will be there.
RussSeaton where are you living?

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 02:22:47 pm »
Maybe rather than just look at the weather today, go back and look at the climate normals for each city/region...Also check out any stations you can find in the higher elevations (e.g., Banff or Canmore just west of Calgary) if you are looking to cross any mountains. Probably not advisable from about mid-October onwards for the northern Rockies.

I did look at the weather, but it doesn't help me well. I saw only sun and rain no snow, around 9°C. Rain like 2mm it's not that much, so anyway it give idea but nothing like real information from local.

Yep to that. Look at what the normal weather is for a particular place for a particular month. Wikipedia is a good spot, since they usually have climate summaries for major cities.

For example, for February, the average high in Vancouver, BC is 8.2C/46.8F, the average low is 4.9C/40.8F, and average rainfall is 98.9mm/3.894in. Not horrible, but not great either. Here in Portland, OR, it's slightly better with an average high temp of 51F/10C  and an average 3.68in/93.5mm of rain.

Factor in short days where it may rain on and off all day, ending up at a wet campround by 4pm so you can set up before dark, long dark nights, and gear and clothing being damp all the time because you'll never get enough time to dry them out. I ride all year in Portland, and I don't mind riding in the rain, but I end up in a warm and dry house every day.  ;D

Also, another thing to note is that the inland cities will be DRIER than the actual coast. That's because the Coast Range/Olympic Mtns/Vancouver Island mountains block a good deal of the precipitation from hitting the inland. But the coast gets the brunt. For example, Astoria, Oregon is on the coast about 160km/100mi from Portland. The average high temp for February is 51F/10C, but the rain is 7.19 in/182.6. That's DOUBLE of what you'd see in already damp Vancouver! And Forks, WA on the Olympic coast gets 10.35 inches/262.9mm in February!

And finally, the prevailing wind along the coast in the winter is from the southwest. If you head south, it means you'll likely be getting a headwind the whole time.

This is what you'd face with a bike tour down the Northwest Coast in February. Sure, you will get some good days, but the odds are that you will see more bad days.

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 09:14:31 pm »
Like say DarrenBnYYC, it can be not usual weather and each year can be different so I will see what happen when I will be there.
RussSeaton where are you living?

It was about 9 Celsius for me today.  High temp.  That is 48 degrees.  Had a pleasant sunny ride of 35 miles in late morning early afternoon.  But I had on winter boot shoes and wool socks and two long sleeve shirts and a wind jacket and two gloves each hand.  I was pleasant.  Washed my clothes after the ride because they were wet.  We had two spring days in the middle of winter.  But most days in February are below freezing for the high and lower for lows each night.

"so I will see what happen when I will be there"  That is leaving a lot up to chance.

I am in Iowa.  Middle of the US.  My weather is not too relevant to where you will be.  Except its cold in the winter and early spring when you plan to ride.

Offline PiedsLibres

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 10:08:02 pm »
  That is leaving a lot up to chance.

:) that is exactly all about my live, just living the present day, I'm on the way since 2011 and I (except the first month with a lot of little rain)  only walk may be 5 time under heavy rain, so if now in american continent become my raining season I accept it, it's fare :-)

the inland cities will be DRIER than the actual coast

That is exactly all about my question, which way is the best in February, so inland will be better than coast, thanks for the information  :D
I will try to find nice road