Author Topic: My route for cross country 2016, ideas?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline jeffreyv

My route for cross country 2016, ideas?
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:14 am »
Hi all,

After much consideration, Google Streetview, Crazyguyonabike blogs, advice from forum members, AADT charts from DOT's and ridewithgps algorithms I have now decided upon a route (with the occasional detour and following instincts while on the road of course) for my cross country ride from Miami to San Francisco in april, may, june. See https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12637676

Do you have any last ideas / tips? I'm most uncertain about the part in east Texas (from Deweyville to Cisco) and the stretch in west California (from Mariposa to Moraga). Thanks in advance!

Offline jamawani

Re: My route for cross country 2016, ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 09:10:50 am »
I am glad to see that you are riding in southwest Louisiana - Acadiana.
I would have suggested it, but it seemed that you were planning to head northwest from New Roads.

I rode that stretch in 2008 - absolutely lovely and the most wonderful folks.
St. Martinville, Abbeville, Cameron. You should be there at a perfect time for wildlife, too.
But - - be aware that Cameron has been hit by two devastating hurricanes.
A few months after Katrina hit New Orleans, Rita hit Cameron. Wiped it out.
New Orleans was bad, but no one even noticed Cameron.
Then Cameron was hit again in the fall of 2008.

Here is my journal from Crazybike -
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=3402&v=Jp

Only the base of the bank vault is left - -

Roseate Spoonbills at the Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge - -

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »
Nice route. Well planned. You'll have a blast.

indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 12:25:25 pm »
Here is to hoping I-10 didn't suffer damage that will cause long-term closures affecting LA 82:

http://www.kplctv.com/story/31489268/i-10-closure-brings-heavy-traffic-to-cameron-la-27

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 12:42:33 pm »
Looks to be both are now open based on the info on the same page.

Offline Bclayden

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:16:59 pm »
Looks like you plan to take the ferry to cross San Francisco Bay.  Certainly a fine way to go but if you would rather cycle across there is one bike friendly bridge: Dumbarten Bridge/Rte 84 at the south end of the bay.

Also your route crossing San Juaquin Valley could be simplified and more scenic. Have a look at this...my favorite way to cross the Big Valley:

After crossing Sierra Nevada make your way to Turlock.  Cross the valley to Patterson and join Del Puerto Canyon Rd to Mines Rd to Livermore. Remote and very scenic. From Livermore you can find your way to 84 and Dumbarten Bridge any number of ways.  Check it out.

Word to the wise... As with any metro area best to avoid cycling during commute hours. Not fun and way more treacherous.  SF Bay Area has some nasty traffic so once in Livermore or wherever you arrive in the Bay Area and all the way to SF you will be subject to thick traffic if you don't plan to avoid. Weekends always good and weekdays between 9am and 3 pm is manageable. Otherwise DANGER!

Have a great ride! 

Offline Nyimbo

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:57:23 pm »
the new Oakland Bay Bridge has a beautiful bike lane that goes halfway across the bay to Treasure Island. I don't have any idea if there is a ferry terminal to get the rest of the way into the city.  If not, you could just enjoy the touristy ride on the bridge out to Treasure Island and back and then take the Ferry or the BART across the bay. 

I've never been across the Dumbarten so can't compare that part.  (I take that back) I've been across Dumbarten many times in a car and it seems like a boring plain looking basic bridge.

Offline jeffreyv

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 05:03:29 am »
Thanks all for your contributions.

The reason for taking the ferry is that I'm visiting relatives who live in Moraga, near Oakland. Also that's the reason for this rather busy stretch between Mariposa and San Fran. Just entered it into ridewithgps because I couldn't find a lot of info on this area. @Bclayden, I'll definitely look into the route that you mentioned to get to Livermore from Mariposa, it looks like it wouldn't add too much mileage to my trip and way more bike-friendly/scenic, thanks!

Yes I did decide to ride south Louisiana because I've read way more interesting Crazyguyonabike blogs (yours among others Jamawani!) about this part of the country than the Southern Tier route in this area. I'll definitely keep my eye on the traffic situation in Cameron in the next months, thanks for the heads up, indyfabz!

Only two more weeks, excited! Any more tips? Texas anyone?