Author Topic: East Coast Greenway or Atlantic Route  (Read 7531 times)

Offline canalligators

Re: East Coast Greenway or Atlantic Route
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:47 pm »
I kinda figured that.  And I know the area, more or less, from Freeport to Massapequa.

Offline Papa Tom

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 08:13:59 pm »
The other thing you can do is cross over to the north shore of Long Island and ride a combination of Rt. 25A, 25, and some country roads as far as Riverhead and cross over from there.  You can even go as far as Greenport, then ferry-hop to Sag Harbor on the south shore and head to Montauk from there.

But didn't you do this ride already?

Offline canalligators

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 04:07:22 pm »
On (geographical) Long Island, I've ridden the Five Borough in NYC, Greenport to Orient Point, a little local riding around Bellmore, and Hither Hills to Montauk Point.  Also local riding around Montauk village/beaches.  I need to connect Brooklyn to Hither Hills, to say I've ridden E-W across New York State.  And sieze the opportunity to revisit our favorite lighthouse.  My stoker has no interest in riding on suburban Long Island, having grown up there, so it'll be a solo trip.

To complete a N-S traverse, I need to ride Lake Placid to the Canadian border, and across Staten Island.

Offline Papa Tom

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 04:50:43 pm »
OK, I've gotcha.  I did the same thing with the Connecticut shoreline, having ridden from Port Chester, NY (the NY/CT border) to Narragansett, RI, which earned me bragging rights to having pedaled the entire Connecticut coast, plus some.  I'm glad there's someone else out there who approaches cycling with a similar attitude.

My West/East experience has only been Manhattan to Greenport along the north shore of Long Island, but not in one trip.  A key cut-through of that ride (a skinny dirt path down the side of an overpass) is now gone, so I wouldn't be able to give you exact directions.  However, if you want to head to Manhattan from Brooklyn and then start your journey east, i may be able to give you some good tips.