Author Topic: Michelin Maps or Google Maps for Europe?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline PeanutButterShammyCream

Michelin Maps or Google Maps for Europe?
« on: April 13, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »
Why do some people prefer the Michelin maps for Europe, when you can just use Google Maps? I purchased the Michelin maps and I don't see why they are better? Maybe I am missing something....I would love to hear your guys' opinion.

Offline RussSeaton

Re: Michelin Maps or Google Maps for Europe?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:01 pm »
Don't know anything about these Google maps.  But can you fold them up and stuff them into the map case on top of your handlebar bag?  You can do that with Michelin maps or whatever the other brands are.  Can you buy these Google maps at the local convenience store (in Europe)?  Most or all the local stores sell Michelin or other maps inside the door.  Variety of magnification.  Get whatever size fits the roads in your area.  Some only show the interstates, some will show the alleys.  As much or as little detail as you want.

Offline Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:01 am »
Google Maps aren't great for cycling in Europe - they don't differentiate well between busy roads and minor roads and they often don't show cycle-specific infrastructure (of which Europe has lots).

Michelin maps are very good if you're mostly intending to stick to the roads and will be covering a large distance. Some countries have excellent paper maps produced by their national mapping agencies (Ordnance Survey in the UK, IGN in France). The best electronic maps for cycling in Europe are those based on OpenStreetMap data, such as openstreetmap.org itself, OpenCycleMap, or cycle.travel.

indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:25 am »
In addition to what's already been mentioned....Having spent seven weeks touring Andalucia, which Michelin makes a great map for, I can tell you that having the map with you is quite convenient. You can open it up and see the spacial relationship of a large territory all at once. Being able to do that allows you plot routes between A and B and see the entire route in detail all at once. Try doing that with Google Maps on a small computer screen. The maps also contain pass elevations and some gross grade information.

Offline BobG

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:48 pm »
By all means use Google Maps as a supplement but pick up the paper Michelin Maps as you travel to see the big picture as suggested above. Also available online. There is no comparison when it comes to the artistic detail of the Michelins.

Michelin...

Google...

Click to enlarge
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:00:00 pm by BobG »

Offline Richard Fairhurst

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:05:32 am »
And for purposes of comparison, the same area in...

OpenStreetMap 'Standard':

OpenCycleMap:

cycle.travel:

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 08:57:18 am »
Thank you for all of the replies. I have one more question:

Should I use the 1:400, 000, or 1:200, 000????

What is the difference???

Offline BobG

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 09:27:43 am »
I find the 1/200,000 scale to be the best for cycling. It will show the smaller (white and yellow) roads in more detail. Also in France it will display a triangular symbol at towns with municipal campgrounds. The above (reply 4) Michelin screenshot is about at that scale. You will ride off the map quickly if you're traveling in the short dimension of the rectangle, but at least in France you will find the local maps at any Tabac or Presse shop in the next town. I also carried a 1/1,000,000 scale map to have an overview of the entire trip.

You can view the paper map graphics of Michelin maps online by clicking on the Michelin Man face icon in lower right corner at my black arrow. If you zoom in closer than 1/200,000 it will return to the more electronic graphics.

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps

edit: I just looked at current versions of Michelin paper maps. The 1/200,000 maps are a lot larger than when I used them. They used to be fairly small quadrangles, now they each cover a wider region. The good news with that is you will buy fewer maps and ride off them less often. Bad news is they will be more cumbersome to unfold on the road.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:09:39 am by BobG »

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 05:23:14 pm »
I purchased the 1:400,000 map for Italy. I want to ride the Green routes, which are scenic, and less traveled (I think)?...

My goal is to ride on mostly quiet, scenic roads. I don't see any street names for the GREEN ROUTE of this map. For example, the map shows the Green Route going along a freeway, but it doesn't give any detail on the name of the street. Do you think this map will give enough detail to help me stay off the main roads? Or should I purchase the 1:200,000???

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 05:51:19 pm »
About 25 years ago I used 200,000:1 scale maps for Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Czech, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium.  Not Michelin, some other brand of maps I bought somewhere over there.  Local shops or street stands I suppose.  Every two weeks or so I had to buy a new map.

Offline BobG

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 06:22:54 pm »
I purchased the 1:400,000 map for Italy. I want to ride the Green routes, which are scenic, and less traveled (I think)?...

My goal is to ride on mostly quiet, scenic roads. I don't see any street names for the GREEN ROUTE of this map. For example, the map shows the Green Route going along a freeway, but it doesn't give any detail on the name of the street. Do you think this map will give enough detail to help me stay off the main roads? Or should I purchase the 1:200,000???

The 1/400,000 details look pretty good in the online samples. They are a bit smaller in physical size so that would be an advantage. 48"x39" vs 61"x39" for the 1/200,000 scale. They are both fairly large to deal with on a windy day. Possibly cut it in half to be more manageable. The old style 1/200,000 was 18"x42", much more convenient.

Maybe use the 1/400,000 and go online to the Viamichelin or Google sites to zoom in for more detail when needed? Or if it's inadequate replace with the larger scale when you're on the road. In France you'll find them in every town newspaper shop/book store. Not sure about Italy.

I've only travelled in France and I avoid the red roads and freeways even when they're designated "scenic" with the green highlight. I link up the little, squiggly white and yellow roads using a red road only for short connectors.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:34:26 pm by BobG »

Offline Neil Wheadon

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 07:18:31 pm »
No comparison
The greatest thing about a Michelin map is the green lines that show the pretty roads.
A map is the price of a cup of coffee, if you buy the Michelin map you can simple cycle the green roads, as we say in England 'It's a no brainer'
  Neil

Offline BrianW

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:45 am »
For touring in Europe, for many countries there are bike-specific maps that are available. These are really handy because they show all bike paths, good roads for biking, and usually even show where there are hills (marked with light or dark arrows to show severity). Germany and Austria are pretty well covered by these, and I've found them for the Czech Republic, too. The only issue is that they are detailed in scale (~1:75,000) and as such only cover a narrow area.