Author Topic: Pacific Coast Route North to South  (Read 3510 times)

Biketouringhobo

Pacific Coast Route North to South
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:34:52 am »
When is the Best time of the Year to ride North to South on the Pacific Coast Route??? from Portland, Oregon to San Diego, California and I am looking to Start on 6-4-2017 going slow and easy down the Pacific Coast Route and this my 1st solo bike touring trip!

My facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PacificCoastRoute/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:12:46 pm by Biketouringhobo »

Offline John Nelson

Re: Pacific Coast Route North to South
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:53 pm »
I started in mid August, primarily because I didn't want to hit Southern California during tourist season.

Offline Patco

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:42:58 pm »
September is a better month for weather, particularly in Northern California. Riding the coast in Northern California during the summer you will have a better than even chance to encounter fog and cold. Plan accordingly.

Offline CMajernik

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:11 am »
From the online information about the Pacific Coast Route:
This route can be ridden at any time of the year, but spring and autumn are optimal periods to avoid the heavy tourist traffic in the summer. And be forewarned: winter rains can cause flooding and mud slides and may close roads, especially along the northern California coast. Dense fog can also be a problem during any season. Washington and Oregon normally have dry sunny weather in August and September while the spring season is usually rainy. Due to changing local conditions, it is difficult to predict any major wind patterns, but during summer, strong winds will prevail from north to south.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Biketouringhobo

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:45:05 pm »
From the online information about the Pacific Coast Route:
This route can be ridden at any time of the year, but spring and autumn are optimal periods to avoid the heavy tourist traffic in the summer. And be forewarned: winter rains can cause flooding and mud slides and may close roads, especially along the northern California coast. Dense fog can also be a problem during any season. Washington and Oregon normally have dry sunny weather in August and September while the spring season is usually rainy. Due to changing local conditions, it is difficult to predict any major wind patterns, but during summer, strong winds will prevail from north to south.

Thanks

Offline AKTed

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 06:56:24 pm »
I just finished riding form Portland to San Diego, taking 26 days, basically the month of May. I had beautiful weather almost the entire time. Some coastal fog, but not much. Temps were actually cool, in the 60s most of the time, high 40s and 50s at night. I had favorable winds most of the time as well, including some days with 20 mph tailwinds.

I encountered half a dozen or so northbounders, and I always felt bad for the headwinds they were having to deal with.

My blog of the trip: https://bankingtime.wordpress.com/category/2016-bike-tour/

Ted

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:39 am »
Did it June 21-July 10, 2005.  We had rain the first day in WA and then never again.  Unfortunately, the north winds came late that year and we did not get as much of them as we would have liked.  All in all though, great trip, great weather.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:01:00 am »
When I did it in September the weather was wonderful and the traffic light.  I'd bet on October being nice as well.  Summer is probably fine if you don't mind a bit heavier tourist traffic, but Fall is probably nicer.

I'd think spring would be likely to be wetter, but if you are considering going then check historic averages on weatherspark.com or weatherunderground to be sure.

Offline hbbra16

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 02:40:36 pm »
I'll be heading out August 15th for this trip. From Canada down to Mexico. This year may be a little different due to the El Nino and we will be going into La Nina? I don't know a whole lot about it, but like the others said, I'd be prepared for rain, just in case. Rain gear can be reasonably light weight and well worth having.