Author Topic: Biking across America  (Read 2149 times)

Offline JennyL

Biking across America
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:30:00 pm »
Hello everyone!

I am new to here and I am so excited about the idea of biking across America. I am 22 year old, just graduated from college, and I want to challenge myself to see what I can do to make a difference. I grew up in Hong Kong, so there's no such idea of biking or cross country biking, and I'm really excited to take on new challenges!

I am not an experienced biker. I bike, but mostly for school. I know I will build up strength along the way. I am planning to bike across America through TransAmerica biking Trail. But I do not have camping or biking experience. Would that be doable? Is that too much of a challenge? As for me, it might take longer to finish, but I am dedicated to do it! I have a 3-4 months period.

As for gear, I do not have a decent bike that would last me the whole trip. What are some affordable recommendation for a 5"3 women bike?

Thank you very much!!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:39:28 pm by JennyL »

Offline John Nelson

Re: Biking across America
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 04:51:33 am »
Yes, of course it's doable. What an exciting time you'll have planning this. The "how to" section on this site is a great resource, including for bike selection. Take things one step at a time. You should be ready in the summer of 2017!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:16 am »
If you are planning for this summer (2016) you are really pushing it and I wouldn't advise it at all.  If you plan for next summer, (2017), yes it's quite doable.

First, do a lot of reading here for advise on bike and camping gear selection and recommendations. 

There are several great touring bikes available in your size.  Some popular choices are the Surly Long Haul Trucker,  Trek 520, and many others.  You will want to try a few out to see which one suits you best. Unfortunately very few bike dealers stock touring bikes so you will have to shop around and probably special order your chosen bike.

Suitable camping gear is available from REI, ACA's catalog and numerous other sources so, again, do your home work.

Finally, ride a lot to get in shape and take a basic maintenance course to learn at least how to fix a flat tire and basic bike adjustments. 

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »
If you are planning for this summer (2016) you are really pushing it and I wouldn't advise it at all.  If you plan for next summer, (2017), yes it's quite doable.
I somewhat disagree.  The biggest hurdle will be your lack of camping experience and gear.  Three of us did the Trans America on a whim and on pretty short notice.  The only real difference is that we were all experienced at camping and outdoor activities.  By the time you could get up to speed and have all your gear sorted you would want to start in the West (the later in the season you go the more the preference shifts to a W-E trip).

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:14:37 pm »
They say this will be the hottest summer on record since the 1800s. A hard helmet will save you in a headlong crash to the cement, but it will not provide nearly the comfort and protection from solar radiation as a broad brimmed straw hat. Make sure there are openings around the stove-pipe so air can circulate in and out above your head. The difference in comfort  and relief from the heat between a cap and a helmet and a straw hat is easily perceptible. It keeps the sun off all your face and it protects your neck and shoulders. It is not any help in a crash, I'm afraid.