Author Topic: Newbie GPS question from England... waypoints!  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Rabbit

Newbie GPS question from England... waypoints!
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:50:20 pm »
Hi all, I live in England and I'm hoping to cycle the Trans America Trail next year. My question is about waypoints.  I understand there are in excess of 3,000 waypoints on the ACA files that you need to download for the complete route (that may have changed with the new files they have produced, but I'm not sure). If I use an Etrex 30 (max waypoints 2000) and have one single file I believe I will have to reload half way across. My question is -  if I split the files into 12 different sections (say to correspond with the sections in the maps) would it allow me to use the full number of waypoints, ie 3,000 plus or will I still have to edit them? I'm not very computer literate and don't want to be messing about with the unit half way across. There are other GPS units - like the Garmin 64 - which have a 5,000 waypoint capacity and presumably would take the whole route in one go. I'm wondering if that would be better for me. Many thanks for your help...

Offline mdxix

Re: Newbie GPS question from England... waypoints!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:50:23 pm »
There are fewer than 2,000 points in the entire file for TransAm. They can all load onto your eTrex.

Regardless, consider using a smart phone or tablet when browsing for such service points. The interface is far simpler, more responsive, & easier to view.

Offline Rabbit

Re: Newbie GPS question from England... waypoints!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 07:44:33 am »
Ok many thanks for that quick response.