Author Topic: 66 in Tulsa is dangerous  (Read 5204 times)

Offline CMajernik

Re: 66 in Tulsa is dangerous
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 05:09:30 pm »
In October of 2017 we updated and reprinted the section 3 map where Tulsa (and Oklahoma City) are located. We changed the routing in both of the cities based on locals' advice due to safety concerns. Pete had let us know last summer about his accident.   
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 04:34:44 pm »
I never rode the old section but the way the route goes now through both cities is great.
Instagram: Portland_2_Portland

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 11:24:36 pm »
It's good to hear that the Tulsa and OKC routes have been reworked. I started again from Tulsa and got as far as Santa Rosa NM, the 25-35 mph headwinds just wore me out and I hired a truck to take me to Albuquerque and abandoned for a second time. If the winds are reasonable I may start again from Santa Fe this fall. The scenery was just starting to get interesting.

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 12:09:57 pm »
It's good to hear that the Tulsa and OKC routes have been reworked. I started again from Tulsa and got as far as Santa Rosa NM, the 25-35 mph headwinds just wore me out and I hired a truck to take me to Albuquerque and abandoned for a second time. If the winds are reasonable I may start again from Santa Fe this fall. The scenery was just starting to get interesting.

We rode Interstate 40 from Moriarty to Albuquerque and skipped the Las Vegas/Santa Fe section. The route is best, IMO, through Arizona. It’s beautiful. We had headwinds everyday. Sometimes 40-50 mph. It was demoralizing at times.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 12:57:24 pm »
We rode Interstate 40 from Moriarty to Albuquerque and skipped the Las Vegas/Santa Fe section.
But Santa Fe is really cool, and interstates really suck. And the Turquoise Trail from Santa Fe to Albuquerque is a designated scenic byway. If you have the time, I recommend taking the route through Santa Fe. It's hilly though, and there aren't many services.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 01:01:40 pm »
I would also encourage a W>E direction if possible.  We host several WS guests on BR66 and almost universally the W>E complain about the winds and they haven't even gotten to the strong winds yet.  Yeah I understand the desire to "go west young man" but I prefer enjoyable over "authentic".
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 01:04:38 pm »
We rode Interstate 40 from Moriarty to Albuquerque and skipped the Las Vegas/Santa Fe section.
But Santa Fe is really cool, and interstates really suck. And the Turquoise Trail from Santa Fe to Albuquerque is a designated scenic byway. If you have the time, I recommend taking the route through Santa Fe. It's hilly though, and there aren't many services.

I’ve been to Santa Fe and agree it’s nice. I’ve also driven that road between ABQ and SF. It’s busy, narrow and lacks shoulders in many places. After getting hit last year I tend to avoid those roads when I can. 40 was pretty between Moriarty and ABQ. Except a bridge with no shoulder.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 01:22:31 pm »
I would also encourage a W>E direction if possible.  We host several WS guests on BR66 and almost universally the W>E complain about the winds and they haven't even gotten to the strong winds yet.  Yeah I understand the desire to "go west young man" but I prefer enjoyable over "authentic".
John, is there a typo in this post. Should one or the other of your "W>E" be "E>W"?

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 02:58:09 pm »
Yep, sorry.  I meant to say the westbound riders complain so you should head eastbound from the Pacific.  Let me clarify.  Due to the strong winds during the riding season, the winds are either from the W, SW, or S for most of the route depending on where you are on the route.  Therefore, if you leave the Pacific and head toward Chicago, you have a much greater chance of direct or at least slight tailwinds as opposed to direct or slight headwinds.  The further east you get the more the winds come from the south so right about when you you start angling to the NE near Oklahoma City, the winds are typically out of the SSW.  As you near Chicago, the winds are more variable but at least it is flatter and you should be strong by then.

Thanks for catching the contradiction!  John
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 04:12:06 pm »
Yep, sorry.  I meant to say the westbound riders complain so you should head eastbound from the Pacific.  Let me clarify.  Due to the strong winds during the riding season, the winds are either from the W, SW, or S for most of the route depending on where you are on the route.  Therefore, if you leave the Pacific and head toward Chicago, you have a much greater chance of direct or at least slight tailwinds as opposed to direct or slight headwinds.  The further east you get the more the winds come from the south so right about when you you start angling to the NE near Oklahoma City, the winds are typically out of the SSW.  As you near Chicago, the winds are more variable but at least it is flatter and you should be strong by then.

Thanks for catching the contradiction!  John

The wind were terrible going E-->W. I'd never recommend someone go that way and I never will again. They were sustained at 25, 30, 35 mph on days.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 08:54:18 pm »
The wind were terrible going E-->W. I'd never recommend someone go that way and I never will again. They were sustained at 25, 30, 35 mph on days.
Prevailing wind in any location depends on the time of the year. Even then, it can vary substantially from one day to the next. When I did Route 66 westbound, I did encounter slightly more headwinds than tailwinds, but it wasn't an overwhelming difference. In fact, more days than not had no significant wind either way.

Cycling is virtually impossible for most riders (certainly for me) against a sustained 35 MPH headwind, if by "sustained" you mean for hours on end without any breaks. When I have a particularly bad headwind on one day, I typically cut that day short and hope for more favorable winds the next day.

Offline Manilishi

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 09:44:37 pm »
I’ll second pnwrider - I rode East to West last year (springtime) headwinds were brutal in the southwest in particular 20- 30 mph headwinds day after day - New Mexico especially ! By no means would I recommend east to west and the daily headwind

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 04:01:33 am »
Prevailing wind in any location depends on the time of the year. Even then, it can vary substantially from one day to the next. When I did Route 66 westbound, I did encounter slightly more headwinds than tailwinds, but it wasn't an overwhelming difference. In fact, more days than not had no significant wind either way.

Cycling is virtually impossible for most riders (certainly for me) against a sustained 35 MPH headwind, if by "sustained" you mean for hours on end without any breaks. When I have a particularly bad headwind on one day, I typically cut that day short and hope for more favorable winds the next day.

Sustained as in most of the day. The winds peaked in Arizona at 31-35mph sustained with gust in the upper 40s. We still managed to make our destination every day though. It was just slow going especially on days with a lot of uphill. Another day we had sustained winds of 28-32mph but it was mostly downhill. It was downright brutal at times. Demoralizing.

We had consistent headwinds of 10-15mph an average of 4 days a week, and then 0, 0-5 and 15+ all an average of 1 day a week. In my journals I keep track of the daily weather fairly detailed.

I heard/read somewhere that Arizona had the windiest May in over a century. I can’t comfirm that though. May have just been a fellow traveler saying so with no proof.

Thermal density/wind is a factor too.

Sadly those aren’t even the worst headwinds I’ve seen. That belongs to the stretch between Keystone and Rapid City, SD in 2016. I’ll never forget it and hope to never see sustained winds that bad again 🤦🏼‍♂️
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:19:44 am by PNWRider92 »

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 04:07:59 am »
I’ll second pnwrider - I rode East to West last year (springtime) headwinds were brutal in the southwest in particular 20- 30 mph headwinds day after day - New Mexico especially ! By no means would I recommend east to west and the daily headwind

It seemed to get worse (for the most part) for us the further west we got with Arizona being by far  the worst. New Mexico second worst. Texas 3rd. Oklahoma 4th. California 5th. Kansas 6th (although with only 13 miles of 66 the data I collected from my single night there is very incomplete), Illinois 7th and Missouri the least windy at 8th.

Absolutely demoralizing day after day. Even days with no wind forecasted it was 10-20 sustained randomly. My Italian friend whom I finished the ride with from Tucumcari kept saying “Why must life be so hard?” as the wind blew.

We rarely ever got a break.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 11:02:06 am »
Thanks for the additional information PNWRider. What device do you use to measure wind speed?