Author Topic: Do you pack a Spare Tire???  (Read 7854 times)

Biketouringhobo

Re: Do you pack a Spare Tire???
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 04:56:24 pm »
My Spare Tire Schwalbe marathon mondial DD tire is 740g =1.64lbs and my Acer Chromebook 11.6in is 3.3lbs and I am packing my Acer Chromebook on my bike touring trips in California to upload Pics from my camera to my Facebook blog

Your spare tire is way too heavy.  Just carry a spare that will serve its purpose.  Put it on in an emergency and ride it for a few days or so until you come to a bike shop and can buy a new heavy duty touring tire.  Then put the spare back in your bag as your spare tire.  You can easily find a suitable spare that will be 300 grams or maybe less.  You are carrying one extra pound needlessly.

I have seen in computer stores smaller, lighter computers, tablets, notepads, etc..  Few inches less in size, and several pounds less in weight.  They would work just as well as the very large, heavy thing you are carrying.  I'd suggest you get a bit smarter and carry less extraneous weight.  And if by chance you use public sources of internet access, it might take an extra week or so to find one maybe.  I doubt anyone on your Facebook will give a dam that your information is a week late.  Believe it or not, not everyone cares about being instantly in touch with the whole world.  If everyone only heard from you once a week or once a month, they would all be happy with that.  Hearing about you every minute of the day is not necessary.

I am on a Fixed income from US Gov on SSI and SSDI and my Acer Aspire V5 11.6 windows 7 is 5lbs so my Mom got the Acer Chromebook 11.6in and I have a LG K7 Prepiad Smartphone and on 11-2008 I gone Homeless by Choice to get my Gear! and To live my Dreams of Bike Touring in Southern California and California on Pacific Coast Route and Parts of Route 66 from Flagstaff, AZ and I got the 3 Schwalbe Marathon Mondial DD Tires 26X2.0 from wiggle.com at $30.99X3=$92.97 and My Rims say 26X1.75 up and I am not looking to save weight! and I also run 6 Bike Touring groups and 3 Homeless groups on Facebook

Offline cliffordbarnabus

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 12:45:15 am »
i've cycled around the world for 6 years.  i've cycled from memphis to DC via chicago.  i've cycled 15000 miles from florida to florida.

i never carried a spare tire.

Offline Randingo

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 11:11:18 pm »
I run the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.75 on my Surly.  I carry 2-3 tubes, patch kit and a spare tire.  Would rather carry the weight than to be hitching a ride.  This is one of those choices you must make for yourself.  Whats your comfort level when your miles from nowhere?