Author Topic: Going off course around Yellowstone or not thoughts  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Nyimbo

Going off course around Yellowstone or not thoughts
« on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:56 pm »
I'm on Transam W-E should be at Yellowstone in two days time. For two reasons I'm wondering about bypassing the park. First I'm doing Yellowstone later in the summer with family and second I'm hitting the park on 4th of July weekend.

Should i just stay on route or would bypassing through Island Park down to Jackson be safer and quicker than fighting the holiday traffic?  I think the road were 20 and 32 and 33.

Offline John Nelson

Re: Going off course around Yellowstone or not thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:47:02 am »
IMHO, it would be crazy to bypass Yellowstone.

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:59:29 am »
The bypass might be a little less stressful but you will miss a lot.  And if you haven't discovered it already, you really do see more by bicycle than when in a car.  I would vote for YNP and then go down to Jackson and back to Moran Jct as that is a very scenic section most of which is on a bike path.

Offline planeguy5

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:47:20 pm »
I just got through Yellowstone and Teton National Parks on the TransAm west-east. I didn't find the roads to be all that bad for cyclists. Yes, there is heavy traffic, but the shoulders was generally good, and the drivers were courteous. I found Lolo Pass to be worse. Just my two cents.

Offline Nyimbo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 05:25:26 pm »
Thanks I'll continue on on course then. BTW Lolo pass was not my favorite ride as it was heavy cold rain all the way over the pass.

Offline planeguy5

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 10:20:41 pm »
Lolo Pass was the same for me. Wet and cold, and sleeting at the top. The next morning was below freezing and everything was frozen! Shouldn't have that problem going in to Kansas. Safe travels, my friend.