Author Topic: Atlantic Coast Traffic - Bar Harbor going South in May '17  (Read 5455 times)

Offline LittleGreenHorn

Re: Atlantic Coast Traffic - Bar Harbor going South in May '17
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 11:52:40 am »
Ha!

It's contagious!!!

I gotta say, I'm getting very happy about the thought of the pedalling.

Offline LittleGreenHorn

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 12:45:56 pm »
I'm looking at flights and Bangor is a real pain to get to from London.
If I fly to Boston and keep my bike boxed up, it looks as though these guys will take my boxed bike and transport me straight up to Bangor.

Anyone ever traveled with Concord Coach?

Offline BrianW

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 04:34:53 pm »
I'm looking at flights and Bangor is a real pain to get to from London.
If I fly to Boston and keep my bike boxed up, it looks as though these guys will take my boxed bike and transport me straight up to Bangor.

Anyone ever traveled with Concord Coach?

How is it a pain? Flying American Airlines/British Airways, it's two flight legs: LHR-PHL-BGR, connecting in Philadelphia. Same day, even (e.g., one option is to leave LHR at 10:05 am, arrive BGR 5:08 pm same day). The only thing you'd need to confirm is that the regional jet to BGR can take a bike.

Otherwise, I'm sure Concord Coach would be fine, although I've never used them myself. I've seen them all over the highways in New England. If you can catch a bus directly from Boston to your final destination, that might be worth dealing with the bus connection (assuming the times are convenient).

Offline LittleGreenHorn

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 04:37:03 pm »
 Pain = Quite A Lot of ££££

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrianW

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 04:55:46 pm »
Pain = Quite A Lot of ££££

Ah, yes, well there's that...

Offline LittleGreenHorn

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 04:58:52 pm »
Lol. Yes!
By the time I fly to Philly, then to Bangor do my pedalling and then fly back to London from Boston..... eek!!!!

indyfabz

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 08:34:58 am »
BTW...If you want to take a day off in Philly to see the historical sites there is a HI hostel that's a pretty easy bike to downtown:

http://www.philahostel.org

Offline BrianW

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 09:55:28 am »
BTW...If you want to take a day off in Philly to see the historical sites there is a HI hostel that's a pretty easy bike to downtown:

http://www.philahostel.org

+1 on this! Philly is worth a visit :-) Most airlines allow you to break-up your flights by up to 24 hours, so you could fly into PHL, stay over, and then fly north the next day at some point. Only issue is where to store your bike box. Since you have an ongoing flight the airline *should* hold your box for your next flight. Some years ago we did a bike tour in Europe with some friends from California. They flew in from California the first day, stayed overnight with us in Phila, and then we all flew to Germany the next day. The airline held their two bike boxes for them overnight and put them on the Europe-bound plane the next day.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 12:14:48 pm »
You can also leave the bike boxed and checked, and use a bikeshare bike.  Or transit.  Our large cities have pretty good transit, elsewhere it's very skimpy.

Offline BrianW

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 04:14:29 pm »
You can also leave the bike boxed and checked, and use a bikeshare bike.  Or transit.  Our large cities have pretty good transit, elsewhere it's very skimpy.

Yes, Philadelphia has trains 2x/hour from the airport to Center City. I assume Boston has something similar.

Offline LittleGreenHorn

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 03:05:11 pm »
It's looking like a return flight London - Boston, Concord Coach to Bangor and then West Bus Service to Perry.

From Perry I've made a map of the areas that look fab to cycle through - you can see the Google Map here

I'm thinking, from my research, that the New Hampshire coast & the southern coast of Maine is the bit to leave out, and I've already explored the North Shore area of Boston.

So, if I take a dandering ride from Perry to Brunswick and either continue by bike down to Portland or get public transport, spend a few days there and then go on to Boston, again, via public transport.

I've no interest in just cycling fast down the coast. I'll want to meander a bit, stop off to do some walking etc., find some nice cafes to sit and people watch in.

Thoughts?