Author Topic: Walla Walla, WA on the Lewis & Clark Trail  (Read 3086 times)

Offline AKJeff

• Tourist
  • An old retired Air Force guy flying on his bicycle
Walla Walla, WA on the Lewis & Clark Trail
« on: December 07, 2016, 12:18:06 pm »
 :)  Walla Walla the town so nice they named it twice.  Section 7, Map 99 of the ACA Lewis & Clark Bicycle Trail shows Detail A as crossing Hwy 12 at Lower Waitsburg Rd/N. Clinton St.  This highway crossing is not open to pedestrians/cyclists.  Coming in westbound on Middle Waitsburg Rd as you pass the airport turn left onto Blue Mountain Dr. and immediately right onto Rainer Dr./Wellington Ave. which will lead you under Hwy 12 and into Walla Walla.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18002423 

Walla Walla is a League of American Bicyclist - Bicycle Friendly Community and offers two full line bike shops as well as many fine hotels and  restaurants.  Known as the Napa Valley of the North includes over 100 wineries and tasting rooms.  Stop at Allegro Cyclery, The Bicycle Barn, or the tourist kiosk at 1st and Main St. for a copy of the newly updated Walla Walla Valley Bike Map.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:21:47 pm by AKJeff »
Tailwinds to you my friends...

Offline JHamelman

Re: Walla Walla, WA on the Lewis & Clark Trail
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:06:35 pm »
:)  Walla Walla the town so nice they named it twice.  Section 7, Map 99 of the ACA Lewis & Clark Bicycle Trail shows Detail A as crossing Hwy 12 at Lower Waitsburg Rd/N. Clinton St.  This highway crossing is not open to pedestrians/cyclists.  Coming in westbound on Middle Waitsburg Rd as you pass the airport turn left onto Blue Mountain Dr. and immediately right onto Rainer Dr./Wellington Ave. which will lead you under Hwy 12 and into Walla Walla.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18002423 

Can you give me more information about why this intersection is not accessible to cyclists and pedestrians? Has there been recent construction there? All images I can find on Google Maps and Bing seem to show it as an intersection without any restrictions.

I have looked at your suggested change and it does look more pleasant than that crossing. Would you continue on Wellington Ave. to Melrose St. and reconnect to the mapped route from there?

Best,
Jennifer

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline planeguy5

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 04:32:25 pm »
Hi Jennifer,

I went to college in Walla Walla, and I´m quite familiar with the Highway 12 crossing at Clinton/Middle Waitsburg. It is indeed a high-traffic crossing that has to be crossed with care, but it isn´t restricted to pedestrians or cyclists. I cross there almost every day while out on runs or training rides. That being said, the alternate proposed by AKJeff is definitely a more pleasant (and safer) route, albeit a little more indirect.

Walla Walla is a great town. I´d highly recommend staying for a night (or a few!) to enjoy the region. In the spring and fall it is an incredible place to be! Excellent, open cycling out in the wheat fields, and even better bikepacking on the forest roads up in the Blue Mountains (just east of town).

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:24:57 pm »
I took a two day bike vacation there and found the ride from town out to Kookooskie to be great for a short day, and then the ride to Bluewood from Dayton to be a very moderate, nice long climb.  On that ride, in late June, there was very little traffic on the last 10 miles, like perhaps maybe one car every 15-20 minutes.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline AKJeff

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:51 am »
I guess "restricted" might be to harsh a description for the intersection of Lower Waitsburg Rd/N. Clinton St and Hwy 12, however...it is strongly recommended on the Walla Walla Valley Bike Map "DO NOT CROSS THE HIGHWAY FROM THIS ROAD".  In over 50 years of riding a bike in many different places around the world I choose not to temp fate.  Had a few close calls leaving me somewhat gun-shy.  Or should that be car-shy, anyway since the underpass is there, local riders like to use it instead. 

Jennifer, we are having a snow storm here in Walla Walla for the next few days and as soon as the weather clears I'll ride over there and take a few 'street view' pictures of the intersection in question.  Highway 12 has undergone new construction including some traffic revisions in recent years and there are actually poles/barricades dividing the highway intersection to allow traffic on the highway to turn left onto N. Clinton St or Lower Waitsburg Rd, but are arranged in such a way not to allow any traffic to cross.  Pictures will better show this and I'll post some as soon as the weather clears. 
Yes, Melrose St. would be an excellent route.  Melrose St turns into E. Sumach St and passes directly behind the downtown Safeway.  There are many hotels within a few blocks of this route including Travelodge, Best Western, Quality Inn, Motel 6, Comfort Inn, and the 3-Star Marcus Whitman.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18009024
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:46:37 am by AKJeff »

Offline JHamelman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:33 am »
Thanks for the additional information, everyone.

AKJeff, don't worry about getting out there and taking pictures. I trust what you and the others are saying. I noticed your route uses Old US 12 sooner than ours. We currently go from Sumach St. to W. Rose St. then Wallula Ave. before intersection with Old US 12. Do you do this for the access to services? Or better road conditions?

After I understand your choices, I may want to post your RWGPS link to our addenda as an improved route. Would that be ok?

Jennifer
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline AKJeff

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 03:45:57 pm »
Jennifer,
You bring up an interesting choice, good roads for cyclist or available services.  Most of the route I suggested follows streets that have marked bike lanes or are low traffic.  Local riders avoid Rose St due to a lack of bike lanes and high traffic count.  Services are abundant as you might expect in a downtown area.  Wallula Ave does have the last convenience stores until Touchet, WA, another 15 miles to the west.  As far as services along my suggested route, once you pass the traffic circle at Myra Rd. there are no services except wine tasting rooms until Touchet, WA, however there are separate bike paths and once they end the roads are low traffic with good to excellent shoulders all the way to where Old US 12 Hwy and US 12 Hwy meet.   I often stop at one of these for a friendly chat/taste and to refill my water bottles.  ;) US Hwy 12 is the main artery for all traffic west of Walla Walla, but has good shoulders. I would also mention after Touchet, WA there are no services available until a rider reaches Umitilla, OR. 40 miles away on Map 101.  Pierce's Green Valley RV and Campground mentioned on Map 100 has no store. 

Yes, of course you are welcome to use my RwGPS link.  As I mentioned the city of Walla Walla was just given the bronze level Bicycle Friendly Community award from the League of American Bicyclist.  We are proud of our town.  I will send a copy of the latest Walla Walla Valley Bike Map for your collection.  And if you ever find yourself riding the Lewis & Clark through Walla Walla look me up. 

The photo I have attached is on the Lewis & Clark Bicycle Trail, Sec 7, Map 100, Detail A

Jeffrey 'AKJeff' Fritts