Author Topic: Redondo Beach (L.A. area) to Lake Tahoe  (Read 1114 times)

Offline raceboy1

Redondo Beach (L.A. area) to Lake Tahoe
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:50 am »
Hi all,

Thinking of doing a solo tour in late April. Is this possible?

Also, the google bicycle route contains stretches along Hwy 14 and Hwy 395. One part of 395 is 140 or so miles. Can you ride along these highways and is it a good idea?

If you've ever done this route, I would appreciate any tips. I'm not a camping fan so I'd like to stay in cheapish motels.

Thanks!

Offline aggie

Re: Redondo Beach (L.A. area) to Lake Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:06 am »
Most of the 395 has a very wide shoulder.  I've ridden it near Bishop without any problems.  A couple of areas north of Mono lake don't have much of a shoulder.   You should be fine just carry a good supply of water for the long stretches without services.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:10:03 pm »
Always a good idea to check out some street views of your route, for shoulder conditions and general look of the neighborhood.

Offline aggie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:35 pm »
I haven't ridden it but it looks like you can ride on Sierra Hwy as it parallels hwy 14 until it ends near Mojave.  You should be able to ride on the 14 after that.  It has a wide shoulder when it has 4 lanes.  Once it becomes 2 lanes there is almost no shoulder until it runs into the 395.  You could take the 395 all the way from Hesperia but until you get to Ridgecrest there also isn't munch of a should and it has high traffic.  The 14 will also have moderate to high traffic.   Be prepared for some long climbs.

Offline raceboy1

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:44:57 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

Thoughts on finding cheap motels to crash at along the way? I've done 90-100 mile days on rolling terrain. 70-90 would be more pleasant. I'm not looking for specific recos at this point--just a general idea of there are enough towns/motels along the way to support my plan. I'm asking because I was originally thinking of riding to Flagstaff, AZ but the motel situation looked really sparse in the CA desert.

Thanks again in advance.

Offline aggie

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:26:30 am »
You shouldn't have a problem with motels except maybe during weekends during the summer unless you make reservations.  The distance between Ridgecrest and Lone Pine is about 80 miles and this is the max distance between locations with motels available.