Author Topic: Cherry Springs State Park, Pa  (Read 2161 times)

Offline robsss

Cherry Springs State Park, Pa
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:10:45 pm »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been to Cherry Springs State Park in Pennsylvania? I'm thinking of taking a trip there from Philadelphia. I haven't come across anyone who's done this, and was wondering about the route. A good chunk of it follows the Schyulkill River Trail, which I'm pretty familiar with, and the Pine Creek Trail.

Anyone have any advice or experience with this ride? Thanks!

indyfabz

Re: Cherry Springs State Park, Pa
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:24 pm »
I am in Philly. Sounds neat. What's the complete route you are referring to?

I have never done Pine Creek, but know several of people who have. They say it's a nice ride, although services along the way are relatively infrequent. You also need a permit to camp at one of the trail-side campsites.

Offline robsss

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:15:55 pm »
Thanks for the tips! As of right now, I've just put it into google maps, which puts me on the Schyulkill River Trail to Reading, from there to Harrisburg, then up the Susquehanna River for most of the rest of the ride. Was hoping someone out there had done some of this and maybe has some advice on routes.

indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:34 pm »
HBG up the east side of the river has some dicey sections, including one on busy U.S. 322 that's actually part of a PA signed bike route.

I have Ride With GPS maps from a tour I did from OH to Philly back in 2014. Going west, you'd take the SRT to Mont Clare/Phoenixville and then head into Lancaster County. Next day would be Red Run Campground in LanCo to near Heggins, PA (camping up a decent climb east of town). Then to Bloomsburg (camping in Rupert, just outside of Bloomsburg) via Ashland and the infamous Centralia. West from there to Danville. Lots of climbing in places, especially in Schuykill County.

I also have mapped out a route that I have yet to ride that links Danville to the Pine Creek Trail in Jersey Shore, PA that is part of a cross-PA ride I have been toying with. You could jump off Pine Creek in Waterville and take PA 44 up to the park. Probably a hell of a climb and likely few or no services between the Jersey Shore area and the park.

Offline robsss

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:28 am »
Thanks, this is really helpful! Your routes more or less follow what I've been looking at on google maps and yes, right past Jersey Shore toward Cherry Springs seems to include one really intense climb.

indyfabz

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:18 am »
When I get the chance I'll send you a PM with the map links and some notes about food, etc., sources.

Offline robsss

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:24 am »
That would be great thanks so much.