Author Topic: Cycle the Erie Canal Event  (Read 7227 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Johnny10000

Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:15:49 pm »
I just signed up for this 8 day trip put on by Parks & Trails New York.  Buffalo to Albany.  Has anyone here done it?

Daily miles are somewhere between 40-60.  75% of the canalway is dedicated off-road trail and flat.  The other 25% is local, lightly traveled roads.

Looking forward to arriving in town each night and being able to go out and find a couple of cold ones.

The best part is that the group that PTNY carries your gear to the next overnight stop so you can ride without hauling all of your camping gear.  They also feed you breakfast and dinner, provide snack stops along the way, and they arrange for concerts/meet-up/tours each night, etc.  Just not carrying my gear will be a nice change of pace.

I was originally going to do the Erie Canal on my own later in the summer but saw this event and jumped on it. 

I just wanted to see what people's thoughts were about it.  This looks and feels very much like a GAP/C&O Canal type trip. 

I have to say I'm excited and looking forward to it.  I'm from the Pittsburgh area and looking forward to meeting others.

John





Offline DaveB

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:08:50 am »
I have not done that particular ride but I have done many similar week long supported rides including RAGBRAI, GOBA, XOBA, Bike Virginia, DALMAC and Bon Ton Roulet.  They vary in both cost and amenities (some include all meals, some include some meals and some you are completely on your own for food) but all have been a lot of fun. 

Most of them are "loop" routes, i.e. you park your car for the week and  the route takes you back to the same location at the end of the ride.  A couple were point-to-point rides and had bus transportation for you, your bike and luggage from the end point, where you left your car, to the start (XOBA) or from the end of the ride back to the starting point (DALMAC).   

How is The Erie Canal ride going to get you from Albany back to Buffalo? 

An advantage to this type of ride is you don't have to pack particularly light since your luggage is transported for you.   Don't go nuts with the extras but you can take some comfort items such as a roomy tent, a camp chair and extra changes of clothes without burdening your bike.  I take enough riding and off-bike clothes that i don't have to do a wash during the week.  I've got better things to do than spend an entire afternoon in a Laundromat!  ;)

 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:26:29 am by DaveB »

Offline Johnny10000

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:27:32 am »
Dave,

The tour offers a return shuttle for both you and your bike.   I signed up for that also.   If that was full, I could take the Amtrak Lake Shore route back to Buffalo and box up my bike.

I definitely want to do RAGBRAI one day!

John

Offline DaveB

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:38:19 pm »
John,

I figured they had to make some provisions to get you to the start or finish.   I rode RAGBRAI back in 1986 and all the stories you have heard about it are understated!  It's a logistic problem as the organizers don't make any provisions to bus you either way so you either need a personal sag wagon or belong to a bike club that brings their own vehicle.   I rode with my son and his friends and  one of them had relatives in Eastern Iowa so we were part of their group and sag service. 

You are from Pittsburgh?  I live in the South Hills. 

indyfabz

  • Guest
Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:26 pm »
FYI...There is now a commercial shuttle service for the canal route:

https://www.gobikeerie.com

Don't know anything about it.

Offline paddleboy17

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »
I did the canal route on my own with a friend. We went as far east as Rome,  and rented an SUV at the airport to carry our stuff back.
Danno

Offline canalligators

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 01:13:02 pm »
That commercial service is new, not starting up until, was it, May?

I've ridden the entire thing once, and have volunteered to help with parts of it a couple other times.  I'd like to ride it again; it is well run.  I recommend you plan on visiting the Womens' Rights National Historic Park in Seneca Falls, the Erie Canal Museum in Syracuse and the Canastota Canal Town Museum.

As for having a cold one, all nights it's near local joints, less than a half mile walk.  In Pittsford hit the Lock 32 brew pub.  In Canajoharie it's down a steep hill, so if you end up crawling back, it might at least look like it's the hill that has you on all fours  ;)

Offline walks.in2.trees

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:58:19 pm »
I just signed up for this 8 day trip put on by Parks & Trails New York.  Buffalo to Albany.  Has anyone here done it?

Daily miles are somewhere between 40-60.  75% of the canalway is dedicated off-road trail and flat.  The other 25% is local, lightly traveled roads.

Looking forward to arriving in town each night and being able to go out and find a couple of cold ones.

The best part is that the group that PTNY carries your gear to the next overnight stop so you can ride without hauling all of your camping gear.  They also feed you breakfast and dinner, provide snack stops along the way, and they arrange for concerts/meet-up/tours each night, etc.  Just not carrying my gear will be a nice change of pace.

I was originally going to do the Erie Canal on my own later in the summer but saw this event and jumped on it. 

I just wanted to see what people's thoughts were about it.  This looks and feels very much like a GAP/C&O Canal type trip. 

I have to say I'm excited and looking forward to it.  I'm from the Pittsburgh area and looking forward to meeting others.

John
A while back I posted a short documentary filmed by a buddy of mine who did that ride, unfortunately I forget the post's title

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk


Offline walks.in2.trees

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:04:02 pm by walks.in2.trees »

Offline Johnny10000

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:29:20 pm »
Dave - I live in the South Hills also....Bridgeville area.  Where are you?   The getting-back-to-your-car part of RAGBRAI seems like it will take some effort to make it work.  But I do plan on attending one day and giving it a shot.

Walks In 2 Trees - That's one of the better trip recap video's I've seen!  Well done.  Thanks for sharing.

Canaligators - I'll keep my eye out for Lock 32 brew pub!  Looks like a lot of people who've done this trip also make a stop at the Saranac/Matt Brewing Co. in Utica.  Don't know how close it is to the trail or tent city but I assume it's within walking distance.

Thanks all!
John

Offline DaveB

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 10:03:19 pm »
Dave - I live in the South Hills also....Bridgeville area.  Where are you?   The getting-back-to-your-car part of RAGBRAI seems like it will take some effort to make it work.  But I do plan on attending one day and giving it a shot.
John, 

We're close. I live off of Bower Hill Rd. about a mile from St. Clair Hospital.   Are you a WPW member?  There has been a group from the club that has done RAGBRAI a few times and i can put you in touch with a couple of them if you wish.

Offline canalligators

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:56:59 am »
I forgot about West End Brewery in Utica.  It's a good tour, I learned a lot about brewing.  The tour goes through there mid-day, so the timing is good too.

Offline emeadows

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:55 am »
I just signed up for this 8 day trip put on by Parks & Trails New York.  Buffalo to Albany.  Has anyone here done it?


My husband and I have done this tour twice, in 2015 and 2016. We had a blast both times. The other cyclists are super friendly, and logistics are managed efficiently, it is truly well-organized and you need worry about nothing. Food is generally very good, but we were both disappointed in the dinner at the Syracuse Zoo. Luckily, you are within walking distance of several fine alternatives that night.

Things not to miss: Tour of Matt's Brewing Company in Utica, the Syracuse Weigh-lock museum, and stopping in Lockport. We did the (included) Lockport boat ride the first year, and the (pay extra) Lockport Cave tour the second, both are excellent. The rest stops in Canestota and Camillus are both informative and fascinating for their history of the canal.

My tip for the shuttle is to buy 6 feet of pipe insulation (usually costs around $1), and cut segments to fit your frame. Put them in a bread bag and store them in your luggage. Attach them to your bike before you load it on the return truck in Albany. It saved me some frame damage, I could see where the bike next to mine had dented the insulation during the ride.

It's a great ride and the weather in NY in July is usually grand.  Enjoy!

Offline DaveB

Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »
......we were both disappointed in the dinner at the Syracuse Zoo.
This opens so many opportunities for wisecracks I don't know where to begin.....  ;D

indyfabz

  • Guest
Re: Cycle the Erie Canal Event
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:14 pm »
......we were both disappointed in the dinner at the Syracuse Zoo.
This opens so many opportunities for wisecracks I don't know where to begin.....  ;D

LOLZ! Great minds think alike.