Author Topic: Arriving by Amtrak  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Nyimbo

Arriving by Amtrak
« on: May 05, 2017, 05:45:37 pm »
I left this morning for the 2nd half of my cross country ride.  I am taking Amtrak to Denver where ill begin. I boarded the California Zephyr in Sacramento  with my bike. I checked the bike and duffel (with the panniers stuffed inside) at the checkin counter. They gave me a baggage tags to attach to the bag and the handlebars. Then i had to take the bike to the baggage car at the front of the train. I lifted the bike up to the man working the baggage car - I stuck my head in the car and looked around. I didnt see any other bikes. He stood the bike up in the rack and said i should return to the baggage car when i arrive to collect my bike. Pretty easy I guess. Im not sure where i will find my duffle since they took it from me when i checked in. BTW $20 for the bike.  Just crossed the Donner pass - lots of snow here. 

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
Re: Arriving by Amtrak
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:13:10 pm »
...I'm not sure where i will find my duffel since they took it from me when i checked in. BTW $20 for the bike.

Technically, if you "check a bag" at the baggage counter, you'll pick it up at the baggage counter of the station you are detraining. Sometimes they'll do it trackside, but bigger cities will have it inside. You can always ask when you're grabbing the bags--sometimes the baggage person is willing to give it to you then, sometimes they are not.

Offline Bclayden

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 12:28:06 am »
I travelled on the California Zephyr to return from a Sacramento-SLC ride with the bike, in a box, checked into the Amtrak baggage. No other luggage. All worked fine except for the Reno Police checking on me during the short layover there. They asked why I was... travelling alone, with no bags, last minute one-way cash ticket, etc. Cops said I fit the profile for running drugs and weapons across country. "You rode your bicycle, alone, from Sacramento to Salt Lake City?" Cop was skeptical...Then I showed him my epic farmer tan.

indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 02:06:15 pm »
"You rode your bicycle, alone, from Sacramento to Salt Lake City?" Cop was skeptical...Then I showed him my epic farmer tan.
Heh. I will have to remember that one in the event I find myself in similar circumstances. I have actually had women laugh at my farmer tan while on the beach shirtless and wearing swim trunks that were shorter than my cycling shorts.

Offline Nyimbo

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:10:17 pm »
...I'm not sure where i will find my duffel since they took it from me when i checked in. BTW $20 for the bike.

Technically, if you "check a bag" at the baggage counter, you'll pick it up at the baggage counter of the station you are detraining. Sometimes they'll do it trackside, but bigger cities will have it inside. You can always ask when you're grabbing the bags--sometimes the baggage person is willing to give it to you then, sometimes they are not.
I gave the man both checking tickets because they were stapled together and he handed me both the bag and bike - so worked out easily.

Riding across eastern Co this week hasn't been so easy. I've been dodging thunder showers and hail storms. Suppposed to be clear tomorrow though. ;)