Author Topic: Bike Storage During Trip  (Read 1600 times)

Offline dcg1080

Bike Storage During Trip
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:41:32 pm »
I'm just getting started on a cross country trip and for several reasons I'll end up needing to take time off to fly back home or elsewhere for family matters or work.

Does anyone have recommendations for where to store my bike during this time? It will be considerably more convenient to not have to bring the bike with me on a flight. Also there is the fact that it could cost $150 or so for a round trip unless I completely disassemble my bike, and in that case I'm stuck with the dilemma that I'll have to get a case for this from one place to another or purchase another at each place to pack my bike.

Long and short it will be easier just to leave the bike... but where? Anyone done this before? Preferably I can get within cab distance of a city and store the bike and then cab to the airport and back.

Appreciate any advice or ideas.

Offline RonK

Re: Bike Storage During Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:44:19 pm »
Most likely you will find Warm Showers hosts willing to store. Otherwise try bike shops.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 07:35:32 am »
Most likely you will find Warm Showers hosts willing to store. Otherwise try bike shops.
I'd suggest the same.  Especially if it is short term storage it should be easy to find either a bike shop or a warmshowers host that can help.

Alternately if there is a bike club in the town you will be pausing in, they'd likely have a member who can help.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 08:36:03 am »
If you will be staying at a hotel or motel near the airport you are going to fly home from and return to, perhaps the hotel would store the bike in their luggage room for the few days you will be gone.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »
Storage areas often have space available. Tell them what you are doing. They may cut you a good deal or even let you leave it there at no charge.