Author Topic: Touring in The Netherlands  (Read 870 times)

Offline BrettL

Touring in The Netherlands
« on: July 06, 2017, 01:31:11 pm »
My girlfriend and I will be cycle touring in The Netherlands in September 2017. Any suggestions for routes, bicycle rental outfit, accommodations, etc?

We plan to be in The Netherlands for about 2 weeks, but our actual tour time will be about a week to 10 days. We'll be interested in modest distances (20-40 miles/day), and are open to jumping on a train or ferry for certain stretches as it makes sense.

We're open to a variety of accommodations....so long as they're clean and pleasant.

Also...any thoughts on whether I should bring my own pannier (have a nice set up Ortleib bags), or just go with rentals?

Thanks!

Brett

Offline Galloper

Re: Touring in The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:01:46 pm »
The North Sea Coastal Route is a pleasant ride with lots of places to visit and stay.   The area around Middleburg on the Island of Walcheren is well worth a visit and Friesland, in the north is also worth a trip.   You can link these nicely on the NSCR.   Lots of places to hire bikes, either short or long term, probably worth bringing your own panniers.

STAYOK is the Dutch Hostel association and good value for money.   The hostel in Domburg is spectacular!   Hotels are plentiful and Booking .com will help.  Dutch equivalent of Warm Showers below.

https://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en

Enjoy your holiday.

Offline TPack

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:18:17 am »
Hi Brett.  I'm living in Almere at the moment.  I spoke to a local adventure bike shop in Utrecht for recommended areas.  There is quite a large area to the West of Apeldoorn that is supposed to be really nice.  I haven't made it there yet but hope to before the summer ends.

Good luck

Offline Galloper

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 01:57:01 pm »
I've been to Apeldoorn and can confirm that the area to the west is very pleasant, lots of sandy tracks, all the ones I rode are easily tackled on a touring bike.   It's best visited in August as it's heather heathland and the heather in bloom is lovely.

You can also visit Het Loo, a Dutch royal palace.   The heathland was once the park of the palace.

Offline TPack

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 04:54:37 pm »
Hey Galloper, have you been on the coastal route to the north west of Amsterdam?  I was looking to try and do a day trip, says 50 miles or so, from Alkmaar to Den Haag, and was wondering what it was like?  Just a little weary that if I get it wrong, it being a coastal route, will end up riding into a head wind all day :D

Offline Galloper

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:47 pm »
I've ridden the route from Ijmuiden to The Hague.   It was a very pleasant ride, it passes through the dunes around Zandvoort and follows the coast most of the way.   You're right to be wary of headwinds, the prevailing winds tend to be Westerly or South Westerly which could leave you riding into a headwind, but if the weather is kind, it will be a very enjoyable day.

Offline BrettL

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I've researched every item, and it's helped me dive into planning. Here's the route we're now planning to ride. https://goo.gl/maps/2VuSnRJU7my.

We're renting bikes from Tulip Cyclery. They had good reviews on Trip Advisor, and they've been very helpful with planning -- and I'm looking forward to trying out some fun Dutch touring cycles. (They use Koga Bicycles).

I've joined Vrienden op de Fiets (Warm Showers Equiv) https://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en and I'm looking forward to staying with locals on some portion of the trip. Thanks Galloper!

I bought a new bike computer that I'll be using for navigation. I'll be creating routes on the Komoot app on my phone, and syncing them to my Wahoo Element Bolt. Hopefully this will help keep us moving and on track.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Brett

Offline BrettL

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:14 pm »
One thing I haven't figure out (in advance of our trip) yet, is how we'll deal with our bikes and luggage when we want to visit points of interest along our tour. I realize that there is guarded bike storage in cities and at train stations (found maps here http://www.holland-cycling.com/)..and luggage storage at train stations, but I'm wondering if we'll just need to carry our pannier around with us if we visit a site while in route. Any tips (other than packing light ;-)?

Thanks,
Brett