Author Topic: ACA Southern Tier Feb. 2018 W to E (There and back again)  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Vegas Rick

ACA Southern Tier Feb. 2018 W to E (There and back again)
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:55 pm »
Hi everyone, I know it's still 6 months away, but with all the logistics involved, I figured, I might as well get a jump on it. :)

So....... Where to start.. OH!

Hi, my name is Rick, I'm a 50 year old omnivore, from Las Vegas Nevada, I like to indulge in non-cycling interests, such as beer, burgers, etc, ( Think fat man on a bike, but with the legs to go the distance) and I will be heading out on a "modified" US Southern tier route. By modified, I only mean that I would hook up with a companion in Phoenix, (Or Las Vegas if you choose to start from here also), rather than in San Diego, other than that, the route would be pretty vanilla ACA. Start time for this tour would be ~ Feb 15, or so, depending on conditions.

I recently sold off my old Fuji touring bike & gear, and am running all new gear & bike foo this tour, so I'm expecting something to break. :D

My preferences in a touring companion are pretty simple. Have a good attitude, a sense of humor, sense of adventure, and understanding that I am 50, trying to push a steel bike across those mountains. ;)  Male, Female, Straight, bi, gay, doesn't matter to me, we're all humans. Oh and if you happen to enjoy an unsupported, no SAG support, no hotel, (WS hosts are ALWAYS a welcome sight), oh, and killer music, type of tour, we should get along swimmingly.

Basically folks, I've learned in my 50 years, that life is too damned short for prejudices, hate, politics, &  religion. Everyone is, who they are, and believe what they believe, and I am in no position to try to change anybody's mind  about anything, and prefer to avoid those areas of unavoidable conflict, when touring (i.e go along to get along). Plus a little weed along the way never hurts.. O_o.

As I have the "luxury"/freedom to take my time at this point in my life, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere, BUT I don't have any desire for it to take any longer than reasonably possible.  40 - 70 miles per day, at a decent ( for the load I carry ) 10 - 15mph depending on terrain & conditions.

I am a technology nut, so technically I will be the personification of a "Fred". Lights, music, solar power to charge everything, I can't fully unplug, not even for a tour. :)

My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing an unsupported tour, but I classify it as my mid-life crisis / finding my spirit animal, tour. :)

If my profile sparks interest, and you think we might be a good match, as the kids say "Hit me up", and I'll forward my contact info, if I've offended you in any way, well, grow up, life is too short.

I Thank you for reading my babble.

P.S. Yes, that's a full rack on the front, never know when I might strap a pizza on it for later. :)

P.P.S. Setting up WS hosts ahead of time would be (as the kids say) AWESOME / KILLER / RAD.. :D

Cheers,
Rick
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:59:01 pm by Vegas Rick »

Offline Vegas Rick

Re: ACA Southern Tier Feb. 2018 W to E (There and back again)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:53:59 pm »
No one???

I know I can't be the only silly enough to do this in February. :)

I'll even cook.  8)

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:58:13 am »
No one???

I'll even cook.  8)
What is silly about February for the ST?  I did an early Feb - early March ST and consider it the very best time to do it.  Avoiding hot weather is one of my primary factors with length of days being another consideration.  The daylight hours are a lot longer then than in a similarly cool Nov-Dec time frame.

I had frost a lot of nights and one very cold (18 F) night, but I think it hit at least 50 F every day of the trip and most days it was warmer than that.  I'll take that over hot weather any time, but I guess some people like hot weather.

Don't let the lack of a touring partner stop you from going.  Riding alone can be nice and you will meet a few others doing a similar ride that you can make friends with and maybe camp and/or ride with some of the way.  There won't be as many as on some routes but you will meet some.

Offline Vegas Rick

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:53:37 pm »
No one???

I'll even cook.  8)
What is silly about February for the ST?  I did an early Feb - early March ST and consider it the very best time to do it.  Avoiding hot weather is one of my primary factors with length of days being another consideration.  The daylight hours are a lot longer then than in a similarly cool Nov-Dec time frame.

I had frost a lot of nights and one very cold (18 F) night, but I think it hit at least 50 F every day of the trip and most days it was warmer than that.  I'll take that over hot weather any time, but I guess some people like hot weather.

Don't let the lack of a touring partner stop you from going.  Riding alone can be nice and you will meet a few others doing a similar ride that you can make friends with and maybe camp and/or ride with some of the way.  There won't be as many as on some routes but you will meet some.

Hi Staehpj1,

Thanks for your words of encouragement..

I am like you, in that I'd rather ride when it is quite cool to cold (which seems weird with me living in Las Vegas), so I think the trip from West to East will be "perfect" in regards to temps, it's coming back East to West that might get a little warm.  8)

Not having a touring partner isn't a deal breaker with the tour, for sure, but it's always nice to have someone along, if one can find someone.

Biketouringhobo

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:28:07 pm »
No one???

I'll even cook.  8)

Check out the Southern Tier Route group on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthernTierRoute/

Offline Vegas Rick

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:27 pm »
No one???

I'll even cook.  8)

Great link.. Thanks...

Biketouringhobo

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:32 pm »
No one???

I'll even cook.  8)
your in the group

Great link.. Thanks...