Author Topic: Detroit to Toledo to Sandusky  (Read 1091 times)

Offline HGuthertz

Detroit to Toledo to Sandusky
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:36:10 pm »
I am interested in biking around Lake Erie next summer starting in Cleveland going counter-clockwise. I would like to include the entire lake- not just the ACA route- beginning east of Sandusky and ending near Windsor. I realize that Detroit and Toledo have bad reputations, but I am an experienced urban biker. I am willing to give it a try.

Might anyone have any advice on routes or otherwise?     

Offline jcostanz

Re: Detroit to Toledo to Sandusky
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:43:50 pm »
One big issue is crossing the border near Detroit/Windsor.  The bridges and tunnels do not allow bicyclists.  The tunnel may, at the bus drivers convenience allow you to use the rack on the front of the bus to cross.  The two closest crossing that specificly allow cyclists are the walpole Algonac ferry north of lake st clair and the Pelee island ferry.

I did a trip around Lake Erie years ago and there was also a no bicycle restriction on route 2 from Port Clinton to Sandusky which required a detour into Fremont.  My route was counter clockwise and left Lake Erie near Rondeau Park and then headed to the Sombra-Marine City Ferry to Michigan, headed west then south thru Ann Arbor thru Bowling Green and rejoined Lake Erie in Sandusky.

Also there is construction currently on the Peace Bridge that affects cyclists, see the post in the temporary ACA road closure forum for the Northern Tier/UGRR route.

Jeff

Offline CMajernik

Re: Detroit to Toledo to Sandusky
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
If you go to this link and enlarge the map of the Lake Erie area you can see the different routes we have to go around Lake Erie. If you click on the different colors it will tell you what route and section number it is.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/interactive-network-map/
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes