Author Topic: Let's talk about Power Banks for Bicycle Touring?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Touring_on_a_Bicycle

Let's talk about Power Banks for Bicycle Touring?
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »
Let's talk about Power Banks for Charging your Smartphone or Tablet?

Do you pack a Power Banks for Bicycle Touring?

I like the Goal Zero Flip 30 Portable Charger
Battery Storage Capacity (mAh) 7,800 mAh
https://www.rei.com/product/106695/goal-zero-flip-30-portable-charger

Offline John Nelson

Re: Let's talk about Power Banks for Bicycle Touring?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:22:37 pm »
There are a lot of them out there, and they get smaller and lighter and cheaper and higher capacity every year.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 05:32:10 pm »
There are a lot of them out there, and they get smaller and lighter and cheaper and higher capacity every year.

Hi John

I have ordered the Anker Powercore 20,000mAh Portable Charger PowerCore 20100 a Power Bank for my Bicycle Touring/Stealth Bicycle Camping Trips and my Homeless by Survival in the
USA.... from Amazon for $43.09 after posting this post and MSRP: $80.00

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:44:28 am »
Another thing to consider is that just taking a spare phone battery or two is lighter and smaller than a power bank.  I have found that if you buy them from a battery supplier instead of the phone supplier they can be pretty inexpensive.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 08:58:57 am »
Another thing to consider is that just taking a spare phone battery or two is lighter and smaller than a power bank.  I have found that if you buy them from a battery supplier instead of the phone supplier they can be pretty inexpensive.
A lot of modern smartphones , iphones for one, don't allow battery changes without major disassembly and special tools so field swapping isn't practical.  There are auxiliary external batteries that increase use time but they have limited capacity too.

Offline walks.in2.trees

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:01 am »
I just ordered the Goal Zero Venture70... Have had the Venture30 for years now, and it charges my Galaxy Tablet S3 to about 70%... So I should get about 2 charges from the 70... Granted it'll also take twice as long to fully charge

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:48:04 am by walks.in2.trees »

Offline walks.in2.trees

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 08:12:32 am »

Hi John

I have ordered the Anker Powercore 20,000mAh Portable Charger PowerCore 20100 a Power Bank for my Bicycle Touring/Stealth Bicycle Camping Trips and my Homeless by Survival in the
USA.... from Amazon for $43.09 after posting this post and MSRP: $80.00
Is it waterproof? Didn't say in the specs. Looks like they have a slightly larger capacity version for another$10ish more. Only question to me would be longevity. I've been using my Venture30 almost non-stop for 3 or 4 years, its waterproof, rugged... all Goal Zero's gear is, being designed specifically for  jungle expeditions. Goal Zero's site didn't list capacity in mAh I don't think, but by item comparison, I should get 2 full charges from the Venture70, since i get about 70% from the 30. So charge-wise yours sounds similar, but it's much cheaper, so let's see if it holds up.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:14:08 am by walks.in2.trees »

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:15 am »
A lot of modern smartphones , iphones for one, don't allow battery changes without major disassembly and special tools so field swapping isn't practical.  There are auxiliary external batteries that increase use time but they have limited capacity too.
True.  I take that into consideration when choosing a phone and pick one that does have a removable battery.  I consider it an important enough feature to be a major factor in the choice.

Offline Bigonabianchi

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »
I bought (and am returning) the anker 20100mah powercore. It's a fine unit, but it has one big downside, only one input charging socket, so even with a fast charge usb charger like the anker powerport4 it takes around 16 hours to fully charge up. I have no intention of stopping anywhere for 16 hours.

So I have just bought an easy acc20000mah power pack. It's a little less (100mah) but that is something I'm more than happy to forgo for this units dual input charging sockets. With two usb cables running off just one pwer socket via a fast charge usb charger (like the anker or easy acc chargers) this thing just fully charged in 6 hours. It also has x4 usb smart outputs compared to the ancres 2. So I can run my two front lights and my garmin and phone at the same time. It's slightly heavier but not much at all, an dfits easily into my apidura top tube bag.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
I bought (and am returning) the anker 20100mah powercore. It's a fine unit, but it has one big downside, only one input charging socket, so even with a fast charge usb charger like the anker powerport4 it takes around 16 hours to fully charge up. I have no intention of stopping anywhere for 16 hours.

So I have just bought an easy acc20000mah power pack. It's a little less (100mah) but that is something I'm more than happy to forgo for this units dual input charging sockets. With two usb cables running off just one pwer socket via a fast charge usb charger (like the anker or easy acc chargers) this thing just fully charged in 6 hours. It also has x4 usb smart outputs compared to the ancres 2. So I can run my two front lights and my garmin and phone at the same time. It's slightly heavier but not much at all, an dfits easily into my apidura top tube bag.

I now have the Anker powercore 20100 20,000 mAh Power Bank and I don't mind if it takes 10 to 11hrs to change up
And for that I would check into a motel room a night or two

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 05:54:22 pm »
True.  I take that into consideration when choosing a phone and pick one that does have a removable battery.  I consider it an important enough feature to be a major factor in the choice.
thanks for that tip! And I am using the LG Stylo 2 plus Smartphone from MetroPCS and I will Google battery this weekend when I get to Panera Bread in Vista CA to use the free Wi-Fi on my Acer Chromebook 11 laptop