Author Topic: Green Mtns Loop  (Read 801 times)

Offline driftlessregion

Green Mtns Loop
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:25 pm »
The Adventure Cycling Green Mtns Loop has an alternative route leaving St Johnsbury (clockwise). Anyone have experience with both routes and can comment on what each route is like?

Offline JHamelman

Re: Green Mtns Loop
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:01:26 am »
This bit of info is found on the Green Mountains description page:

The prettier and more rural, but hillier 68.9-mile East Alternate leaves the main route in St. Johnsbury and rejoins it in South Royalton. A highlight of this alternate is pedaling through picturesque Peacham which has appeared in more Vermont Life photographs than any other town.

Jennifer

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

indyfabz

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:19:20 am »
As you can see from the route overview, there are far fewer services on the East Alternative. I did it as part of ACA's Cycle Vermont back in 2010. IIRC, we had to go off route for a campground. I think it was Harvey's Lake. If it is, the place is no longer in business.

While I have never done the main route, I cannot imagine it being nicer than the East Alternative. I addition to the Peacham area, the section between Groton and S. Royalton was very pretty. I went to high school in NW Mass. and did hiking and canoeing in VT. This are was quintessential rural VT.

Offline GrnMtns

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:58:25 pm »
When are you planning on going through there?  I can ride them both this spring and compare them if you want.