Author Topic: Southern Tier with hammock or tent  (Read 246 times)

Offline Kinglet

Southern Tier with hammock or tent
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:22:25 pm »
I'm hoping to ride the Southern Tier this spring and had planned on bringing a hammock, but I'm wondering if there will be enough trees along the way. Has anyone camped on the Southern Tier with a hammock? Any advice on which to go with? Very excited about this trip. Thanks y'all.

Offline canalligators

Re: Southern Tier with hammock or tent
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:25:08 pm »
Heck, the Northern Tier has days at a stretch with few or no places to hang a hammock.  No utility poles, picnic tables, whatever.  Probably worse on the Trans Am and worse yet on the Southern Tier.

I find my hammock to be much more comfortable than a tent, but I don't use it much anymore.  It's just too much hassle to find two stout trees, 10-16 feet apart, especially in state parks where your site selection is limited.

Offline Kinglet

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:10:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have decided to take an very light hammock for times I can find trees and it's not raining. Otherwise, I'll use a solo tent fly and footprint minus the actual tent to conserve on weight. It's a compromise. I could go with just an ultra light tent but I can't let go of the idea of the hammock.
Wishing wind at your back, Tomoko

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:46:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have decided to take an very light hammock for times I can find trees and it's not raining. Otherwise, I'll use a solo tent fly and footprint minus the actual tent to conserve on weight. It's a compromise. I could go with just an ultra light tent but I can't let go of the idea of the hammock.
Wishing wind at your back, Tomoko
There will be times when the hammock will work, not enough that I'd take one though, but of course it is your call.

I took a small tarp and a bivy rather than a tent or hammock and it worked out well until Louisiana where the mosquitoes were terrible and it was really sticky in the bivy.  If I were doing it again I'd switch to a bug bivy a little before I left Texas, maybe as early as Del Rio (assuming W-E travel).  Since you are using the tent fly and footprint, you might consider having the tent body sent to you around then so you aren't eaten alive by mosquitoes.

FWIW my ST tour started in San Diego in mid February to mid March and ended in Pensacola FL.

Offline Kinglet

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »
Thanks for info on mosquitoes. I was wondering about that. There are really light solo tents so I'll look into getting one. It's great to get some advice and not feel so in the dark about a first time, long, possibly solo trip. I'd welcome any other advice on bike touring. Thank you.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 01:54:35 pm »
I have traveled extensively in latinamerica with a Mayan hammock but wouldn't recommend it here in the US. Unlike latinamerica you won't find campgrounds and hotel rooms set up for a hammock and it is often just too cold. Hammocks are great for sleeping in a hot climate but under 70 degrees fahrenheit you will be unable to get warm.

I once spent 5 months in the US Virgin Islands sleeping in my Mayan hammock with a custom mosquito net. Never slept better.

At my home in Florida here I often sling my hammock on my waterfront tower/deck, snooze and watch the boats go by. One of the joys of retirement.

Also, if you buy a Mayan hammock get the larger matrimonio. Mayans are little people. And get the nylon one, not the cotton. They last much longer.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:13:41 pm by litespeed »