Author Topic: Bike from NYC to Las Vegas?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline rachelwyncoop

Bike from NYC to Las Vegas?
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:49:25 pm »
Hey guys – I’m working with a e-bike company that is staging a stunt to have someone ride across the country – specifically from New York City to Las Vegas in 10 days in the beginning of January! For those experienced with cross country trips who might be interested in participating in this exciting project – I’d love to hear from you!

All travel, lodging, meal expenses would be covered by us & we’d be willing to negotiate additional compensation if you’d require it. Happy to give more details upon request.

Thanks!
rachel.wyncoop@diffusionpr.com
646-762-8231

Offline jamawani

Re: Bike from NYC to Las Vegas?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:23 pm »
Is this a commercial post?

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:41:00 pm »
If this is possible, then that must be one heck of an e-bike. You’d need to do about 280 miles a day at a time of the year when there’s only 9 hours of daylight a day. What’s the top speed of the bike, how many miles can it go between charges, how long does it take to recharge, does it have a light, and will there be a support vehicle? And how does the bike do in snow?

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:01:41 am »
If this is possible, then that must be one heck of an e-bike. You’d need to do about 280 miles a day at a time of the year when there’s only 9 hours of daylight a day. What’s the top speed of the bike, how many miles can it go between charges, how long does it take to recharge, does it have a light, and will there be a support vehicle? And how does the bike do in snow?
Not only will it need to have sufficient range to cover 280 miles/day but to have sufficient battery capacity to do it in freezing and sub-freezing temperatures where any battery suffers reduced capacity.   The OP referred to this as a stunt.  That seems to be an accurate description.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:06 pm »
Maybe the sponsor is going to sag with spare batteries.  That makes it less of a stunt, but much more doable.

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »
Google Maps says its about 2550 miles from New York City to Las Vegas.  Via the Interstate system.  Maybe a bit longer if you can't ride on the Interstate.  But maybe these electric battery bikes are more or less mopeds that can maintain a minimum of 45 mph.  I think 45 mph minimum is the speed needed to use the Interstate in the USA.  Since the company is providing all the expense of the trip, I assume they will also have several trucks for support along the way.  Trucks could easily carry a few dozen extra bikes and batteries to mitigate any decrease in charge.  And generators to recharge the batteries overnight.  And the company would also be able to provide a follower car with flashing lights to stay 10 feet behind the bikes/mopeds and provide cover from traffic.  Assuming all of the above, it sounds kind of fun.  Sort of.  Ride a moped across the USA!!!  Free!!!  Wearing a snow mobile suit, pac boots, motorcycle helmet, ski goggles and gloves.  Only bad part is the early January factor.  That is stupid, stupid, stupid.  You will likely have high temperatures of freezing or close to that from New York to Nevada.  Even in the daylight hours.  I know we are well into the global warming.  Its happening in my state in the middle of the country.  Its 55 degrees today on December 1.  But global warming does not mean its going to be 80 degrees in January in the north half of the USA.  It will be 30 to 40 degrees for highs, not 80.

indyfabz

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:03:26 pm »
Google bike directions from the GWB says 2,800 miles.

What could possibly go wrong?  ::)