Author Topic: Bakersfield to Barstow to Needles  (Read 96 times)

Offline joeyajames

Bakersfield to Barstow to Needles
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:58:00 am »
I'm planning to bike through Mojave in mid March. It's not clear which roads allow bikes. Could anyone comment on allowed bike routes from Bakersfield to Barstow, then on to Needles or Kingman? Is SR-58 allowed? If not, it looks like the only alternative is dirt frontage roads, is that correct? What about bikes on i40 between Barstow and Fenner? Are bikes currently allowed there? Thanks for any help.

Offline aggie

Re: Bakersfield to Barstow to Needles
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:29:45 am »
I haven't ridden this route but based on signs posted at the on ramps (google maps) bicycling is permitted on SR-58 once you leave Bakersfield.  It appears you can enter at towerline road but not sure if it is the earliest/first place to enter.  It also appears you can ride it all the way to Barstow.  I think you can enter I-40 from Main Street (just before it enters the Marine Base).  You ride I-40 until the Nebo exit where you start to ride Hwy 66.  Since part of 66 is still closed you will rejoin I-40 at Fenner.  You should check the addendum to ACA's Bicycle Route 66 to see if there are updates on the route between Barstow and Needles.  There aren't many facilities on the route so be prepared with lots of water.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:59 am »
For the latest information, I suggest you look at both the addenda, and at the route closures forum for the Bicycle Route 66 route. This information covers Barstow to Needles, but not Bakersfield to Barstow.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/map-updates-and-corrections/default.cfm?mRoute=Bicycle+Route+66&mSection=6&submit=Search#results
https://forums.adventurecycling.org/index.php?board=15.0

Parts of Interstate 40 are temporarily open to bicycles (although "temporary" spans years) because of bad conditions on the frontage roads. I recommend the road through Amboy, and the road through Goffs, instead of I-40 from Ludlow to west of Needles (you'll still need I-40 for the last miles into Needles). Take plenty of food and water. The shoulder of I-40 is safe enough, but not pleasant and you'll probably get a lot of flats from truck tire wires.

Offline joeyajames

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
Thanks a million for both answers! This is extremely helpful for me in planning my route.