Author Topic: Double fatality on Route 66 today  (Read 505 times)

Offline PNWRider92

Instagram: Portland_2_Portland

Offline John Nettles

Re: Double fatality on Route 66 today
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:50:48 pm »
Truly sad.  With four lanes and a paved shoulder with rumble strips along the edge, I wonder what was the cause.  You would think this was relatively safe for the traffic volume, assuming they were on the shoulder.

Prayers to all involved, John
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:44:40 am »
The only update I’ve found was that they were struck from behind by a minivan.

The section from Galena to Baxter Springs was nice. The shoulder is nice and wide enough there’s no reason for them to have been in the road.

It’ll be interesting as more details are released.

Offline EmilyG

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:34:09 pm »
Several articles I have read indicate the stretch of road had two lanes in each direction, and the cyclists were in the right hand lane, not on the shoulder. The van, driven by 23-year-old woman, was also in the right hand lane.      Kansas law allows cyclists to use the right hand lane, from what this article says.
http://www.kansas.com/news/state/article210900074.html
and this article
http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/efforts-ongoing-to-notify-family-of-cyclists-killed-on-route/article_0582e2c0-53b5-11e8-ae5a-cb29499f593a.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:38:55 pm by EmilyG »

Offline jamawani

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 11:57:41 pm »
How could someone hit not one, but two cyclists in broad daylight, clear weather, on a 4-lane road?
Even if the cyclists were riding in the right hand lane. (Shoulders on old highways are often unrideable.)
It was 11 a.m. heading westbound, so there was no issue of the sun in the driver's eyes.
Traffic volume is 8240 vehicles per day on this stretch -  moderately busy. Less so at 11:00 a.m.
Speed limit 65 mph - which often translates to 70+.

Approximate location on KS 66, Milepost 1.8, westbound lanes -

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:22:04 am »
I’m assuming they were riding side by side so they were hit simultaneously.

The shoulder is great in that area. Not wide enough to ride side by side. Smooth clean pavement though.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:25:48 am »
Even if one rider was in the left lane and the other in the right lane - - -
How does a person hit two cyclists on a perfectly clear day?

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:24 am »

?

If they were riding side by side they were in the same lane. I read somewhere they’d just crested a hill and weren’t visible to the driver.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:11:47 am »
I am saying that whether they were on the shoulder, in the right lane (which apparently they were), of even each taking up a lane - -
how did the driver not see them?

There is a small crest in the vicinity of where they were hit; however, there are long sight lines prior to the hill crest.
Attached is a Google Streetview from 1/2 mile east.

If the cyclists had just crested the hill when they were hit -
And if the cyclists were riding at approx. 10 mph, the van traveling at 65 mph -
Then the driver would have had more than 30 seconds to see the cyclists PRIOR to their cresting the hill.
Quite probably longer - since you can see the hill crest from the Galena city limits.
Understandably, it may be impossible to discern what is in the road at that distance,
However, a prudent driver who is not distracted will note something unusual.

Remember, if both parties were in motion, then the cyclists traveled almost 1000 feet -
during the time it took the driver to travel from the Galena city limits to the hillcrest.
It would seem highly likely that the cyclists were in view for some time prior to cresting the hill.

<<<>>>

I strongly suspect distracted driving.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:18:10 pm by jamawani »

Offline jbruced

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 11:46:52 am »
Distracted driving(cellphone, reading a book, applying makeup etc); intoxicated driving(alcohol, drugs); driving while tired/sleepy. In other words, not properly paying attention to driving a motor vehicle.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 03:44:34 pm »
In other other words, manslaughter through negligence.

Offline Goodaches

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:53:46 am »
45 years ago, long before cell phones or complicated dashboard electronics, I witnessed something startling about a large percentage of drivers - they don't look more than a couple hundred feet ahead. A car was disabled in the right lane of a 4 lane hiway on  the uphill of a overpass over RR tracks. Tall over pass, very open area, disabled car had flashers going and was OBVIOUSLY viable from 1/2 mile away. I watched for 20 minutes as lone car after lone car cruised along at 50mph in that lane until within 200 feet or less and then aggressively braked and abruptly swerved to the left lane. Eventually a cluster of traffic came along and the lead driver in the right lane couldnt swerve. Keep in mind the uphill of the overpass was high enough that the disabled car in the right lane was visible to every car in the right lane except maybe the car that was tailgating the pick up truck. Anyhow, lead driver in right lane suddenly slammed on brakes and came to a tire squealing stop about ten feet behind disabled car. The left lane was full of a string of cars and right lane had a curb so right laners only option was to stop straight ahead which about a dozen cars did in senseless sudden tire smoking lock ups...until the last car at 50ish MPH without even a flicker from her brake lights slammed the entire line in domino reaction all the way to hitting the first occupied car.
 My point to sharing this jarringly memorable 20 minute observation is that it's not just a few distracted drivers we need to worry about - apparently a large percentage of humans lack the proper scan, situational awareness, or visual acuity to safely travel at speeds over 20 MPH. But there they all go, simply lucky to not run in to things with their two ton vehicles on a daily basis.
We need entirely seperate lanes or routes for non-motorized travel.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 10:26:17 am »
We need entirely seperate lanes or routes for non-motorized travel.

Are you sure you want to go there?

One possible corollary to that position is that bicyclists are only permitted to use roads with "entirely separate lanes ... for non-motorized travel."  If that were enshrined in law, there would not be a legal way to ride a bicycle across the U.S.A.  And yet, when I did just that, I made it safely all the way.