Author Topic: Car Storage - Yorktown, VA  (Read 1527 times)

Offline mbear075

Car Storage - Yorktown, VA
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:04:11 pm »
Hi, Has anyone kept their car in storage in the Yorktown, VA area and can suggest a place to consider?  Was thinking of driving to Yorktown starting point and leaving car there until finish the transamerican ride.

Offline Nyimbo

Re: Car Storage - Yorktown, VA
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:39:04 am »
In the past on a couple of my shorter trips I have found a 5 day spot to park by looking for a personal connection to some group or organization (whoever you are connected to).  I would google the local phone numbers and/or emails and call and ask for some help.  For example, If you are a member of the Rotary club I might try to call the local group and ask someone for a local member who has an available parking space in their side driveway.  If I was a member of the Methodist Church I might call the local Methodist church and ask the people there, perhaps a local pastor or deacon can connect you with a space in some church members back lot.  I'm sure there are multiple examples of organizations or connections you might have.  If you don't find something then perhaps try again in the next closest town where the airport is that you will fly into -when you return. 

I also did the same thing when looking for  a place to leave my bicycle and bags when I had to pause my cross-country trip for a scheduled 1week family reunion in the middle of the summer.

Once I had an immediate yes on first call, the other time, I spent a whole afternoon calling and emailing before I finally got a connection. (it may be a bit harder to find a 2-3 month place to park)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:46:28 am by Nyimbo »

Offline mbear075

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Thanks for tips..  finalizing plan and this helps

Offline Ryld

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:31:57 pm »
If money is not an issue or you can not find a friend to park it with then store your car. I decided to ride my tour loaded bike to a local rent a car place, rent the car, drive to the coastal car return agency, return the car, ride to the coastal start and then start the ride. Car rentals are soooo cheap these days because of all the competition- you can be cheap and risky like me and refuse to buy the insurance they always try to sell you for it. Amtrack has roll on bike service but is an outrageously priced monopoly. I suggest you buy gas treatment (highly toxic but so is gas) and put it in your tank to avoid it gumming up after a few months storage. Stick steel wool up your exhaust pipe so mice do not crawl up it. Place mouth balls on top of your engine so mice do not eat your cables or start a home in it.  Also, I am going to remove the battery cables on my car so the battery will not get drained by stealth off car draining electronic systems in your car. Of course this is not a  factor if the person storing your car is going to check on the battery and engine.