Author Topic: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th  (Read 371 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jamawani

Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:37:10 am »
200-300 inches of snow. (5-7.5 meters for metric-heads)
Massive snow drifts and sheer drop-offs.

Video of recent plowing:
https://www.facebook.com/GlacierNPS/videos/10155811973194912/?hc_ref=ARSoVrydKJ3MvOu_efXmRBER9Uj5UwUMym29w4Z6Fy4T7N2r2XFF_VtSCmlh17yGugI&fref=nf

Offline jamawani

Re: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 12:33:00 pm »
Going to the Sun Road -
Plowing at the end of May

Offline J Griffin

Re: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:16:24 am »
That's interesting!  We're planning a mid-August gravel ride from Whitefish out to the Merc, then across the river and down to Apgar or Fish Creek on Inside North Fork, then back onto the pavement with a stop at Glacier distillery in Coram (of course!), then on to C-Falls and Mudman Burgers, then back to Whitefish. Anyone interested, PM me; we could use the company, but we're a couple of seriously out-of-shape OLD GUYS!!!!

Offline jamawani

Re: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:46:37 am »
Not even going to Bowman or Kintla Lakes??
If you are at the Merc, you really should consider Bowman, at least.

Offline J Griffin

Re: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:50:13 am »
we'll stop at the Merc for the baked goods orgy, but haven't yet decided on hitting Bowman (most likely we will) or go down to Quartz or Logging Creek for that night.  Then it's on to the closed section to Fish Creek campground.

Offline BikeliciousBabe

Re: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:30:43 pm »
Current web cam view shows temps in the 30s at the pass with what looks like stormy weather.


Offline BikeliciousBabe

Re: Going to the Sun Unlikely to Open Before July 4th
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:10 am »
Keep in mind that just because it's plowed doesn't mean it will be open right away. I was there last year. The road was clear and dry but the not fully open due to avalanche fears on the east side. Despite that, I was allowed to ride up the west side. (Cars were prohibited beyond Avalanche Campground.) Unfortunately, the NPS opened the entire road to vehicles that morning. Got passed by the first car just below the loop. That was on June 28th.