Author Topic: Road conditions in Texas on BR66?  (Read 362 times)

Offline John Nettles

Road conditions in Texas on BR66?
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:45:11 am »
Hey,

I and a few others are getting ready to ride a section of BR66 between Amarillo and Tulsa.  I was wondering if the Texas roads are as bad as they have been in the past, i.e. large chip seal that really slows you down.  Are the roads in western Oklahoma any better?  Usually, Oklahoma has only fair roads and I am from Tulsa so I have a pretty good idea what may be coming but hoping I am wrong.

Thanks, John
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline JHamelman

Re: Road conditions in Texas on BR66?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 09:50:13 am »
I'm not aware of any new road conditions information to report for Texas or Oklahoma. There were changes made to the routing in Oklahoma with the 2016 update to Section 3. These mostly addressed some safety issues. If you have the 2015 map, these are addressed on the Map Updates & Corrections page for that section.

Regardless of which version of the maps you have, be sure to check out the Map Updates & Corrections, there is a reroute and a detour listed for Section 3.

Jennifer

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer Hamelman
Assistant Director, Routes & Mapping
Cartographer

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline John Nettles

Re: Road conditions in Texas on BR66?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:51:56 pm »
As a followup, I would say that between Amarillo and Oklahoma border there was maybe 10 miles of really crappy chipseal.  Of course, the vast majority of the non-concrete roads were chipseal but were not the usual quarter-sized chip seal.  All in all, Texas is slowly improving.
Happy Trails, John
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John