Author Topic: Hurricane Ridge - Washington State - issues  (Read 1445 times)

Offline neil

Hurricane Ridge - Washington State - issues
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:01:36 pm »
Hi
Not sure what to do about this. I have reported to the State Park via E mail but no response
We are 10 very experienced cycle tourists and in that we have been to an awful lot of places and regularly use bikes. We took a day trip up the Hurricane Ridge last week with minimal luggage, no issues going up.
On the way down the last 5 miles has just be resurfaced, glassy lovely tarmac. However not so go for 3 if not 4 of us.
3 people had bikes that developed severe shimmying, to such an extent that one person fell doing about 25 miles an hour. My bike felt distinctly odd almost as if a side wall was about to go.
Now 1 is unlucky but 4 of us? In 2 cases this had never happened before (shimmying), one is in his 70's.
There is a sign at the top of the new section saying 'Motorbikes use extreme caution'
So being almost the very first down this new section and many cyclists taking this 18 mile climb on, will we be the first of many and can someone raise this as an issue or are we alone??

Neil

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
Re: Hurricane Ridge - Washington State - issues
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:02:51 am »
Very weird.  Are you saying you guys never (or very rarely) get shimmying?  In case others do not know, I would say that the vast majority of the time, shimmying is due to either a poor frame design/strength and/or improper loading of gear (too much weight over rear wheel).  Shimmying usually shows up only on high speed and can be reduced by pracing your leg against the top tube while occurring.  However, you say the 10 of you are very experienced so you already know that.
Did they pack the same as they always do?  New/different tires or tubes?  Just looking for the variables to try to isolate the cause.  If those 4 changed the loading method, I would say that was maybe the cause.  If not, then I too am at a loss to solve this mystery.  However, I must say one of the few cases I've ever had of shimmying was early on in my touring career and it occurred in Washington State but was probably due to improper loading.  Or maybe there biker gremlins in Washington ;D .

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 10:35:20 am »
The sign for motorbikes could just be a general warning because of steepness and/or curves. Also, it could have been left over from when the road was milled prior to paving. I have seen similar signs where roads have been milled.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 11:26:02 am »
I can't think of a way smooth pavement would induce a shimmy (and I've experienced it too many times!).  My only guess is that there was an unexpected headwind the last few miles, possibly with some trees or rocks buffering the wind in spots, and your group was surprised at the steering inputs of the varying winds.

If you or the park can figure out what caused this, please report back to us?

Offline neil

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 11:55:50 pm »
Thanks
The person who fell was on a Surly which is a rock solid touring bike. It was reasonably new to him, but he cycled Manali to Leh with me last summer and can definitely handle a bike. Another was riding a steel framed George Longstaff a premium British bespoke build that he's had for years. I was on a titanium. We were more lightly loaded than usual, but I've travelled many many times with a single pannier.
I guess time will tell as to other reports, maybe we were a one of with a peculiar side wind but it was a beautiful day

Neil