Author Topic: Boise to Dawson Creek via Calgary  (Read 928 times)

Offline dogdad

Boise to Dawson Creek via Calgary
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:38:51 pm »
Hi. I am planning route from Boise, Idaho to Dawson Creek, BC. Need ideas on routes and things to do. So far I plan on taking US 95 to Canada where I take the Provincial 95 through Cranbrook and Banff then to Calgary. Head north to Edmonton and then turn northwest to Dawson Creek. I would like to spend a few days each in Calgary and Edmonton. My plan is to leave Boise around May 1, 2019 and arrive in Dawson Creek by June 9th. There I will be part of a fully supported ride to Delta Junction, Alaska. Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline zzzz

Re: Boise to Dawson Creek via Calgary
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:36:19 pm »
In 2016 I rode the from Banff to Fairbanks incorporating the entire length of the Alaska Hywy (for the uninitiated the OP talks of riding to Dawson Creek to Delta Junction aka the Alaska Highway).

I assume you have a very good reason for wanted to include Calgary and Edmonton because it really screws up your route. If you rode from Boise to Lake Louise then rode up the Ice Fields Parkway (possibly the most beautiful 200 miles of road in the world), then made a left on the Yellowhead Hywy at Jasper and rode to Prince George and then went north on 97 to Dawson Creek, it would be a much more scenic way to go.

Other then that my advice is follows:

- You get a lot of rain up there. I got rained on every afternoon for 10 days straight. Take really good rain gear.

- May 1 feels like a really early start, take the warm stuff too

- Get a copy of The Milepost to help facilitate trip planning

If you have specific questions feel free to PM or email me. I consider the tour I took on this route to be one of the highlights of my life.

Pete

Offline jamawani

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:09:54 pm »
Had to step away and zzzz said much of what I was palnning to say.

1. May 1 is early in the Northern Rockies - esp.depending on elevation.
Where you from? Do you already know the Northern Rockies?

2. I'd skip ID 55 & US 95 as much as possible - pretty heavy traffic.
You can take US 95 out of Weiser to ID 71 - then over the Wallowas to Joseph.
IF - note the if - the FR 39 Scenic Byway is open to bicycles.
It usually doesn't open to cars until late May - but it is likely to be bikeable.
That would give you 54 miles of paved backroad with zero cars.
Then you could run up the Palouse via WA 27 or similar.

3. BC 93/95 is rather boring with moderate-plus traffic.
The east side via Kananaskis is much more scenic.
Almost certainly too early to go over Elk Pass.

4. Ditto on the route via Calgary and Edmonton - - Why?
If you have friends in C & E have them meet you in Banff and Jasper.
The Icefields Parkway is soooooo worth it. Chilly in late May, though.

Offline dogdad

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:13:32 am »
Thanks for the information.
I have to be in Dawson Creek by June 9th for the start of the supported portion of my ride. Everything before that is flexible. I may even drive there or fly to Edmonton and take the tour's shuttle to Dawson Creek. Still early in planning process. Some background. I have ridden self supported across the US, once. On a good day I could do 60 miles. Longest was 67 miles. Usually did around 50.

I have a copy of The Milepost on order. Thanks Amazon and Pete! (zzzz).

jamawani, I live in Boise. However I have spent most of my life in the Midwest. Mountains are still a new thing to me. I understand (and have learned hardway) they can be harsh and unforgiving. As it will take time to get to the Rockies, I really won't be reaching them until mid May. The Icefields Parkway sounds nice. As does Kananaskis. I just googled them. Perhaps on return from Alaska. I didn't even consider ID 55 for this strip. That is a deathtrap as far as I am concerned. US 95 is a general course. Your idea to cross the Wallowas is something worth looking into. Which Elk Pass are you talking about? I have found three so far. One I can through out. The other two could be it.

Everyone. I am also contemplating a run east across southern Idaho, then north through Butte and Helena, Montana and along the eastern front of the Rockies into Canada. It is a bit farther. I have the time. This crosses the Rockies at lower elevation and hopefully warmer temperatures.

Ideas?