Author Topic: Bike Case which Accomodates Racks and Fenders  (Read 329 times)

Offline sflood1

Bike Case which Accomodates Racks and Fenders
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:52:31 pm »
Hello Friends,

I am new to this forum but spent the last hour looking for an answer to my question.  My apologies in advance if this has been asked before but I honestly couldn't find it.

I just purchased the 2019 Trek 520 disc (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/adventure-touring-bikes/520/520/p/24000/) and am planning to transport the bike to Ireland for a ride in September.  I am researching cases (hard & soft) and can't seem to find one that can accommodate the fenders and dual racks.

I really like the velovault2 (https://velovault2.com/product/velovault-2/) but it doesn't appear the racks and fender will fit.

Does anyone heave any ideas or first hand experience?

Thanks,
Sean

Offline sflood1

Re: Bike Case which Accomodates Racks and Fenders
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:03:20 pm »
i forgot to mention that i also looked at the Thule Roundtrip Transition (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-accessories/bike-travel-cases/thule-roundtrip-transition-_-1683469).

Offline sflood1

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:05:10 pm »
but the enormous size of the thule case makes it impossible to fit into the trunk of most taxis

Offline Inge

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 03:03:08 am »
Why not simply use a cardboardbox?

I did that last year from Amsterdam to Vancouver and back from SFO to Amsterdam I used a bike pyjama. Before putting it into the box/ poyjama I put bubble foil/ wrap all around the bike and used cardboard to protect my seat (leather) and the deraileur. Had no damage at all.

Offline sflood1

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:24:48 am »
Thanks for the reply Inge.

I have considered the cardboard box option and it is very appealing.  I know it works 95% of the time...maybe more.  However, I keep thinking about the horror stories i read on the internet where someone's bike was trashed in a cardboard box. if that happened to me, my entire ride would be ruined and my fellow riders would have to proceed without me.  I'd rather spend the money for peace of mind. 

with that said, i haven't communicated with anyone who has used either a hard/soft shell case with racks & fenders.

thanks, Sean

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:24:28 am »
SFlood1,
I am guessing that boxes are used about 95% of the time.  You only read about the horror stories, just like in the regular news.

Regardless, if you are set on a case, you can always ship via BikeFlights and others usually much cheaper than the airlines.  The pros are it is sent via FedEx or UPS and they tend to care more for the bikes it seems (less horror stories).  The cons are you have to ship a few days ahead of you and/or plan to hang out in the arrival town for a few days.  You could prearrange to have it shipped to a bike shop and have them assemble it.  Or you could have it shipped to the hotel you are staying in when you arrive.

Finally, whatever method you choose, if you pad the heck out of bike (HVAC tube insulation works quite well) and ensure there are no loose parts moving around inside the box/case (pedals, fenders, etc.), you should be fine.  Tape the loose parts to the bike, box, etc. just don't let them rattle around.

Hope you have a great ride.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 12:56:46 pm »
If you do find a case that accommodates racks and fenders, it won't fit into the trunk of a taxi either. Large taxis do exist. They are usually vans. You might need to reserve one.

The most feasible solution is to remove the racks and fenders prior to packing the bike. Most cyclists do this. Then pack the racks and fenders in other luggage.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:16:00 pm »
If you can deal with removing and re-installing racks and fenders, you can potentially save a lot of money on shipping by doing so.  In general, the more you can break things down, the smaller you can get the package, and the smaller the package, the less the shipping.  Bicycles generally are so light and so bulky that the package size drives the shipping cost.

Offline oldguybiker

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:08:08 pm »
Sflood1,
There is a lot of good advice in the previous replies. However, I once had my son's high end custom race bike stolen when shipped via Fed Ex in a cardboard bike box. It took months and a lot of proof of component purchases, photos, and descriptions to get reimbursed for the loss. Depending on your risk tolerance and budget, here are two more options. They are a little unusual, but I've used both with bullet-proof success.
(1)  If you are a DYI'er, and good with woodworking, build a custom bike box/shipping crate. Disassemble the bike as far as you're comfortable doing so, (the further the better) and carefully experiment with stacking it in as compact an area as possible. Use bubble-wrap to pad the parts from one another.  Measure how much space you'll need, (height x width x length), add a couple of inches for padding and margin of error, and those are the required inside dimensions.  Build the box light but sturdy, and you can reuse it over and over.  Think like a boat builder and use glue and screws for joints. It can be a fun project!
(2)  Take your bike to an International Air Freight Forwarder and explain what you want, destination, timing, etc. They can handle everything, including customs declarations, economical shipping, and final destination delivery, plus getting the bike back to you when you get home. Their crate builders know exactly what's required and have in-house shops that can efficiently build a custom box that will last a lifetime. You may want to get a quote first, but when you compare the total costs, you'll likely find them to be very competitive. 
~ spins, grins, and tail winds to you!

Offline sflood1

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 04:44:45 pm »
everyone, thank you so much for all the advice. I definitely have a lot to consider.  I will let you know what i decide and how things work out.  Have a great weekend everybody!...Sean

Offline canalligators

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:44 pm »
Ireland, ahhhh.  My next trip there will be a cycling trip.  Hope you have a great trip.

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 07:55:42 am »
I ship my large LHT in a CrateWorks plastic box. Racks fit inside the box, though not while attached to the bike. It takes 20 min. to attach them when I got to my destination. I don't use fenders, but I am sure you could fit them in the box as well. Still "airline legal."

Offline TCS

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 09:26:37 am »
The Shipbikes XL Bikebox

https://www.shipbikes.com/xl-bikebox-assembly/

will hold your Trek 520 with racks and fenders.  It appears their Aircaddy

https://www.shipbikes.com/aircaddy/

would accept the bike with fenders and rear rack but not the (stock) front rack .  Bonus:  Shipbikes is a sponsor of Adventure Cycling!

Obviously the quest would be simpler if your fenders and racks weren't sacrosanct.  Following John and Pat's suggestion, you might practice removing and reinstalling them to decide if that would really be off the table for your ride.

They (who?) say that for everyone who asks a question, 10 or 63 other folks are wondering the same thing.  On the general topic of 'how do I get my bike to where I want to ride', you know how everything is a compromise?  My Dahon Curl will drop right into an airline-not-even-oversize Samsonite Stryde Glider Long Journey without any disassembly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:30:19 am by TCS »
"My name is Pither.  I am at present on a cycling tour of the North Cornwall area taking in Bude and..."